[SOLVED] Question about mixing ram with different CAS latency

Jan 14, 2019
I just bought a new RAM stick to get the benefits of dual channel. Everything was going alright and the website where I ordered the RAM started the shipping process. After a while I went to check the information again. Apparently, the clock speeds are the same, but their CAS latency is different. Both are 2400 Mhz, but one is CL17 and the other is CL16 Are they gonna work together at all? I'm kinda new in the PC building community so I often make mistakes.

I live in Brazil and buying paired RAM sticks is simply not worth it, they charge the same amount I would pay on a 1060 6GB for 16 (8x2) 2400 Mhz.

Solution
If they are same brand you are reducing the problem.

When you have different CAS latency you have to set timings to the SLOWER RESPONSE one, in your case is the CL17. (More CAS latency means more time to response, so SLOWER response)
Usually motherboard will load an adequate timing by XMP Profile. (You have to choose it in BIOS)
If you don´t want to use XMP Profile you can change it manually and set the timing up to your choice. An example using CL17 is to use 17-17-17-39

Sxino

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
If they are same brand you are reducing the problem.

When you have different CAS latency you have to set timings to the SLOWER RESPONSE one, in your case is the CL17. (More CAS latency means more time to response, so SLOWER response)
Usually motherboard will load an adequate timing by XMP Profile. (You have to choose it in BIOS)
If you don´t want to use XMP Profile you can change it manually and set the timing up to your choice. An example using CL17 is to use 17-17-17-39

Solution