[SOLVED] Question About My Ryzen 2700x Boost Clock Speed

gonfonix

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018
Hello,

The Ryzen 2700x can boost up to 4.3GHz. For me, I have my power plan on Windows 10 set to "Windows Balanced" (as this is what I have seen is recommended for the second gen. Ryzen CPUs) and on games and programs using the CPU, I get a max boost clock speed of 3.95Ghz. I am not overclocked obviously either. Therefore, I am not hitting the 4.3GHz. I only hit that at times on 1 or 2 cores when the system begins using the CPU at a given moment.

Is this normal or should I be hitting the 4.3GHz boost clock when playing games / using intense programs involving the CPU?

brendan_20

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I had the same problem, what you need to do is go into BIOS and enable PBO, by default it's set to "Auto" you must change that to "Enabled"

Hi gonfonix :)

The Windows Balanced power plan will reduce frequency when not needed. There is also a hidden plan for performance when demand is high and will generally attain your OC continuously.
What you describe is normal for Balanced plan.

gonfonix

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

Well my boost clock speed of 3.95GHz is the highest frequency I get on all power plans when I am playing a game / stress testing the CPU (so High Power Plan, Ryzen Balance Power Plan, Windows Balanced Power Plan, etc).

I do have the CPU running on a B350m Bazooka Motherboard, which naturally doesn't support the second gen. Ryzen CPUs without a BIOS update. So could this be an issue also?

gonfonix

Prominent
Feb 2, 2018

No no no. I do have my BIOS updated. That is not what I assuming. I was just questioning that as that thought just popped into my mind. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

brendan_20

Commendable
Sep 13, 2016
I had the same problem, what you need to do is go into BIOS and enable PBO, by default it's set to "Auto" you must change that to "Enabled"

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS