[SOLVED] Question about OC GPU memory

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
HI, I have a question I'm hoping someone can answer, ive searched Google and fourms ere but cant seem to find an answer. I was wondering , does it make any significant difference in a GPUs performance if you OC the memory. I have my GPU core already OC to 1390Mhz, but have never touched the Memory , so It is stock at 1750Mhz, My GPU is also undervolted to 1020mv. I am just curious really if it would even be worth bumping the Memory to say 2000Mhz (Ive read that many have done this and the GPU is stable at this Mhz) .. or is it just not even worth doing? so if you can let me know your thoughts, maybe Pros and cons that would be great.. thanks

Solution
that's pretty much what I ended up doing, more or less discovered OC the memory didnt really help at all, a few FPS at best and it wasn't much after the stock settings,(stock value is 1750Mhz and at 1850Mhz is when benchmarks dropped, but that is still 150mhz from the 2000Mhz some claim to have set theirs at. but I didnt play with any voltage or anything else so maybe that's how they achieved the stability and better results. but in my case and as I dont know that much about OC and voltages etc.. I just reverted the memory back to stock value.

Considering you already had the core overclocked, raising the memory speed by 100 (which is about 7%) wold give you at most a few % extra FPS. So if you were getting 100 fps, you...

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
well ya I guessed that.. I just dont know if its worth doing, I mean is it what.. 2...3 more FPS or 20..30 more.. and only goinf from 1750Mhz to 2000Mhz/? would it even be wort the extra stress on card?

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Run a few benchmarks on the card as it is now. Increase the memory speeds a bit, run benchmark again and compare.
that's pretty much what I ended up doing, more or less discovered OC the memory didnt really help at all, a few FPS at best and it wasn't much after the stock settings,(stock value is 1750Mhz and at 1850Mhz is when benchmarks dropped, but that is still 150mhz from the 2000Mhz some claim to have set theirs at. but I didnt play with any voltage or anything else so maybe that's how they achieved the stability and better results. but in my case and as I dont know that much about OC and voltages etc.. I just reverted the memory back to stock value.

Considering you already had the core overclocked, raising the memory speed by 100 (which is about 7%) wold give you at most a few % extra FPS. So if you were getting 100 fps, you would see at most 7% increase in the best of best circumstances.

Solution

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
Considering you already had the core overclocked, raising the memory speed by 100 (which is about 7%) wold give you at most a few % extra FPS. So if you were getting 100 fps, you would see at most 7% increase in the best of best circumstances.
ya wich is what I pretty much got, maybe a couple FPS (if that) increase, more instability than anything else, so I just left that at the 1750Mhz, the core OC helped quite a bit , and I can push it more, Ive had it stable beyond 1400Mhz 9at least running Superposition benchmarks at 1080P extreme) not much higher than 1400Mhz however, but still over.. I just dial back to 1390Mhz I suppose as a buffer zone. and really I play everything on a 1080P TV so really no need (for myself anyway) to have 200+fps, as it is all my games play in excess of 100fps as it is