[SOLVED] Question about onboard gpu, new gpu, and display. Tried everywhere else.

Jul 13, 2021
I recently built a new pc where i took my old 600 watt psu , my old 1tb ssd internal sata, and my rx570 and switched them to a new build and i am gonna wait for gpu prices to drop. Anyhow here is the specs

Asus prime z490p mobo
I5 10600k 4.1ghz cpu
Amd rx570 gpu
1tb sata ssd
600 watt psu
Coolermaster Masterliquid ml120l v2 rgb vio cpu cooler
Win 10
Bolva 4k tv at 60hz

Ok i install everything boot from onboard install gpu drivers and shut down. Reboot with hdmi cord in gpu. Nothing. Ok. Power down. Hdmi back into onboard it boots fine. I noticed while trying to boot from gpu the fans would like turn off and on like they weren't getting a signal or waiting for a signal. Anyways i booted back to win10 and went to device manager the onboard is still there with the rx570. I uninstall the onboard completely and switch the hdmi to the gpu...it works perfectly. Has for days. Today i reboot and nothing again. I switch the cable back to onboard and when the windows screen pops i switch it back to rx570 and it works like that everytime. The drivers for the onboard also keep reinstalling by themselves too. This is a pain in the ass.

Things i have tried:

I went into bios and set pcie as the main display.
I have unseated and reseated the gpu several times.

I am fairly knowledgeable about pcs this has me stumped.

My brother thinks it could be the older hdmi cable i have. I ordered a new 2.0 one that will be here tomm. It was glitchy on my old system i had to unplug and replug the cord sometimes to clear the flickering and white noise. But it always booted no prob.

Ive posted this in multiple repair forums and no luck.

Any thoughts and go

Solution
So the problem with low quality PSUs is that they lose specs over time. Your Thermaltake might be able to power your GPU just fine in the past, but that does not mean it can do it now. Have your brother be a good brother and borrow you not only his GPU but his PSU as well. Swap the PSU first, if that doesn't help then swap GPU as well. That way you can test two things and don't risk damaging his GPU.
Ok i install everything boot from onboard install gpu drivers and shut down. Reboot with hdmi cord in gpu. Nothing.
Define nothing. It's kinda important to know exactly what happens.
I switch the cable back to onboard and when the windows screen pops i switch it back to rx570 and it works like that everytime
So the system boots to Windows without problem, it's just you get no display on rx? If so, have you tried just re-plugging HDMI on rx? Does it work at least sometimes?
The drivers for the onboard also keep reinstalling by themselves too.
As long as iGPU is not disabled in BIOS or in Device Manager, if you remove drivers Windows will bring them back. That's expected behavior. I would just leave them be. There should be absolutely no problem having both rx and iGPU activated at the same time (on a healthy system that is). Unless you mean Windows is reinstalling iGPU drivers that are already installed?
It was glitchy on my old system i had to unplug and replug the cord sometimes to clear the flickering and white noise.
If the cable was causing any sort of issues before, it can be a culprit. The fact that symptoms are different means nothing here.

Reactions: Naterrage
Jul 13, 2021
Define nothing. It's kinda important to know exactly what happens.

The fans on the rx act like they wanna go like fan on for a second then off. Nothing on the screen and the mouse and keyboard do not light up.

So the system boots to Windows without problem, it's just you get no display on rx? If so, have you tried just re-plugging HDMI on rx? Does it work at least sometimes?

As long as iGPU is not disabled in BIOS or in Device Manager, if you remove drivers Windows will bring them back. That's expected behavior. I would just leave them be. There should be absolutely no problem having both rx and iGPU activated at the same time (on a healthy system that is). Unless you mean Windows is reinstalling iGPU drivers that are already installed?

No just reinstalling the onboard not the rx drivers. I couldn't find iGPU in my bios i seen an option for primary display and changed that to pci-e.

If the cable was causing any sort of issues before, it can be a culprit. The fact that symptoms are different means nothing here.

I have a new 2.0 very high end cable in my hands right now. I will try it when i get home in like an hour. I haven't tried unplugging and replugging the hdmi cable. I guess ill have more info soon ty for fast reply i appreciate it alot

Reactions: DRagor
Jul 13, 2021
No luck. Tried the cable in and out. Tried the new cable. It still says no input device on my tv when i boot with hdmi plugged into the rx. I power back down switch to onboard wait for windows login enter pin screen then switch the cord back to the rx and it works perfectly. Its not a huge hassle but id like to fix it it bugs me.

Actually ... if your TV has two HDMI inputs you can try connecting both at the same time, one to iGPU other to rx. Make Windows think you have two monitors (but set them to Clone, not Extend). Might be a way to 'cheat' your system a bit.
Another trick to check is to boot without any video cable at all, then connect it to Rx (after about say 1 minute). Will it work that way?

Reactions: Naterrage
Jul 13, 2021
Actually ... if your TV has two HDMI inputs you can try connecting both at the same time, one to iGPU other to rx. Make Windows think you have two monitors (but set them to Clone, not Extend). Might be a way to 'cheat' your system a bit.
Another trick to check is to boot without any video cable at all, then connect it to Rx (after about say 1 minute). Will it work that way?

Idk but i like the way your thinking. Ill try and let you know the results. Thanks again.

Are there any motherboard bios updates that might address your issue?
Normally, when a discrete gpu is detected, a motherboard will make that the default bios post output.
Apparently your specification of the discrete display adapter as prime is not working properly.
Windows should have no problem running more than one display adapter.

And... connecting both is a clever idea.

Jul 13, 2021
Well Ive tried everything including plugging both the gpu and onboard into seperate hdmi ports. I have been having a issue with crashing i never had before too. Its doing the driver timeout thing that alot of amd users are getting and im getting flickering while playing a game and its been freezing and windows says program is no longer responding prompt. I haven't tried updating bios yet so ill do that. My brother has a gtx 970 windforce that im gonna see if it works and i might just buy that from him if it does. Smh...

Might be that your GPU is dying, and the initial problem was the first sign of it. Testing another GPU is certainly good move. But make sure your PSU is up to task of powering gtx970 (you didn't mention what PSU model you have, only that it's old).

No luck. Tried the cable in and out. Tried the new cable. It still says no input device on my tv when i boot with hdmi plugged into the rx. I power back down switch to onboard wait for windows login enter pin screen then switch the cord back to the rx and it works perfectly. Its not a huge hassle but id like to fix it it bugs me.
You should have a setting in bios that says "initialize display first" and lets you select between iGPU and discreet, whatever you select will be the one that will be displaying the boot (dos) info and the other will only initialize once windows enables the display extension/cloning whatever.

So the problem with low quality PSUs is that they lose specs over time. Your Thermaltake might be able to power your GPU just fine in the past, but that does not mean it can do it now. Have your brother be a good brother and borrow you not only his GPU but his PSU as well. Swap the PSU first, if that doesn't help then swap GPU as well. That way you can test two things and don't risk damaging his GPU.

Solution
Ill just buy a new psu. What do you recommend? Preferably around the 50-75 dollar range or so.
Depends on your future plans. Whether you plan to change GPU soon (as in when prices go back to normal) to one of newest models? If yes it would be good to plan much beefier PSU (depending on GPU it would have to be 750 or 850 W). If no then good quality 550-650 W will suffice. What's good quality? Anything Tier A or B from the list(and if no upgrade plans then even better units from Tier C would do): https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/psucultists-psu-tier-list-rev-14-8-12-07-2021.3624094/
Although if you plan on going for something extreme like 3080 or better then only Tier A is real option.

I recently built a new pc where i took my old 600 watt psu , my old 1tb ssd internal sata, and my rx570 and switched them to a new build and i am gonna wait for gpu prices to drop. Anyhow here is the specs

Asus prime z490p mobo
I5 10600k 4.1ghz cpu
Amd rx570 gpu
1tb sata ssd
600 watt psu
Coolermaster Masterliquid ml120l v2 rgb vio cpu cooler
Win 10
Bolva 4k tv at 60hz

Ok i install everything boot from onboard install gpu drivers and shut down. Reboot with hdmi cord in gpu. Nothing. Ok. Power down. Hdmi back into onboard it boots fine. I noticed while trying to boot from gpu the fans would like turn off and on like they weren't getting a signal or waiting for a signal. Anyways i booted back to win10 and went to device manager the onboard is still there with the rx570. I uninstall the onboard completely and switch the hdmi to the gpu...it works perfectly. Has for days. Today i reboot and nothing again. I switch the cable back to onboard and when the windows screen pops i switch it back to rx570 and it works like that everytime. The drivers for the onboard also keep reinstalling by themselves too. This is a pain in the ass.

Things i have tried:

I went into bios and set pcie as the main display.
I have unseated and reseated the gpu several times.

I am fairly knowledgeable about pcs this has me stumped.

My brother thinks it could be the older hdmi cable i have. I ordered a new 2.0 one that will be here tomm. It was glitchy on my old system i had to unplug and replug the cord sometimes to clear the flickering and white noise. But it always booted no prob.

Ive posted this in multiple repair forums and no luck.

Any thoughts and go
I don't see anywhere in your post about you doing a clean install of Windows 10 on your SSD. Whenever you change your Motherboard, it is HIGHLY recommended you do a clean install of Windows 10 to avoid any/all unnecessary OS issues.

Windows 10 clean install tutorial

Jul 13, 2021
I don't see anywhere in your post about you doing a clean install of Windows 10 on your SSD. Whenever you change your Motherboard, it is HIGHLY recommended you do a clean install of Windows 10 to avoid any/all unnecessary OS issues.

Windows 10 clean install tutorial

I did a clean install. Formatted and reinstalled. Will windows even work after switching your mobo and cpu by just plugging the ssd in the new build?? I used a usb and clean install. I ordered a 850w psu it will be here tomorrow. I have been playing for hours now will no crash on the rx570. I still wanna fix the reboot thing though. I turned vsr off and changed the power usage setting to 50 on the amd software i also cranked the fans up so they can go max rpm.

I did a clean install. Formatted and reinstalled. Will windows even work after switching your mobo and cpu by just plugging the ssd in the new build?? I used a usb and clean install. I ordered a 850w psu it will be here tomorrow. I have been playing for hours now will no crash on the rx570. I still wanna fix the reboot thing though. I turned vsr off and changed the power usage setting to 50 on the amd software i also cranked the fans up so they can go max rpm.
You'd be surprised how many people post issues here after installing a new mobo and cpu who haven't done a clean Windows installation. Sometimes Windows will appear to work for awhile but eventually have issues severe enough causing people to seek help.

Jul 13, 2021
850w PSU between 50 - 80 bucks, right What make and model PSU did you buy?

The PSU Was like 80 i think but i did research and have heard good things they are just a newer company not alot out on them. I guess we will see huh?

I got an Aresgame AGS850 works beautifully so far. However i have tried every thing that has been suggested and i still can't boot to my GPU. I have to plug hdmi into the onboard wait for windows screen them switch the hdmi to my GPU. Everything has been running smoothly besides a few driver timeouts which are common right now with my card(unfortunately). No game crashes though. I would really like to solve this because I am anal about things working properly and switching the cord is getting annoying. Any other suggestions?

Thanks again btw I really do appreciate the time you guys spend helping. I definitely pay it forward on other posts mainly pin reddit helping others.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2021
twitch.tv
went to device manager the onboard is still there with the rx570. I uninstall the onboard completely

I'm not sure if you've solved this issue yet but I may have some insight which might help. I recently got a PS5 Dualsense Controller to use with my PC. When Windows installs it, it installs it twice which results in "double-clicking" in game (if that make sense). I discovered that it installed it twice in my Device Manager and uninstalled one of them. It worked fine until I restarted my PC and then it reinstalled the 2nd controller again. To combat this, I didn't uninstall the second controller rather just disabled it in Device Manager and it works perfectly now. I'm not sure if this would have relevance to your issue as well but try disabling rather than uninstalling.

(I'm new to the forum but this looks like a huge wealth of information! Will get my profile and stuff updated soon)

Jul 13, 2021
No. I still have to switch the hdmi cord to the onboard when i boot. As soon as windows screen pops up i can switch it back and it works fine. Well, besides the random driver timeouts which have slowed down lately. I have tried everything, that has been recommended in this thread. Its weird but im used to switching back and forth now so i guess ill continue until i figure it out or someone does. I mess with it every so often. Maybe its a mother board glitch. I doubt Asus would be helpful at all prolly say its my fault or something. Thanks for the reply and attempt. I have disabled uninstalled the onboard I swear ive tried everything new hdmi cord update bios basically everything listed in this thread. Ive been building PCs for 20 years and have never heard of the problem. Im nowhere near a pro but I am somewhat knowledgeable. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions.

Nathan