Question about possible broken pci slots

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
So i just got my sound card today.
turned my pc off, connected the thing and turned it on and suddenly i saw a little spark and some smoke coming from the the pcie x1 slot. i quickly disconnected the sound card and the golden ending that you use to put in the pci slot was melting a slight bit. Like its burned off, and the little tiny piece fell inside the pci slot.

So the sound card is <mod edit>, but id like to know if theres any chance to check if the pci slot is broken? i used it before and it was fine so its not the motherboards fault... and the thing that fell into the slot was hoovered so theres no more shit in it.

I also check the metal pins that are inside and they seem fine, so the slot is probably ok right ?

Solution

No way whatsoever. Unless you see physical damage (like burned soldier, or it breaks off) there is no way without installing a known working card.

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
i forgot to mention that i placed the broken sound card, into another slot (the second time, after it burned) into a different pciex1 slot and nothing happened. So if you place a broken product into a pci will it break the pci ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Probably not, again no way to tell, but most likely if its not shorted out internally it probably won't break anything.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Firstly the computer won't read it, secondly because of exactly what just happened to you.

You should turn off the PC and turn off the switch on the PSU, this way if you accidentally touch something you shouldn't it won't short out and destroy your equipment, as you have just learned.

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
haha my pc was off i was just asking :p i was curious if it was possible to like, connect your gpu or hard drives/dvd drives to your pc if its on.

So is there no way to check if the pci slots are broken? is there no software that reads the slots or something ?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

No way whatsoever. Unless you see physical damage (like burned soldier, or it breaks off) there is no way without installing a known working card.

Solution

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Youre in a catch 22, can't check it without a new card, don't have a new card to check it. There is no way to check it otherwise.

I just would hate to see you buy a new motherboard for no reason.

Nexures

Reputable
Aug 14, 2015
i was so happy that i got the sound card delivered in 2 days ;_; couldve played csgo tomorrow since ive a day off

i always get the faulty/shitty things man haha