Question Question about RAM compatibility

Brian4222

Reputable
Sep 9, 2019
Hello guys, I haven't rly been gaming or using my PC in like 2 years, now I'm thinking about upgrading my ram

I already have 2x8gb both corsair model CMK8GX4M1D3000C16

I'm thinking of buying 2 more 8gb rams corsair model CMK16GX4M2D3600C16

I know the weaker one will bottleneck the stronger one, but they are literally the same price in my country so my question is should I proceed buying CMK16GX4M2D3600C16 since they're the same price and are they gonna work? Are there going to be any downsides except lower performance from stronger one etc. thank you very much.

Hello guys, I haven't rly been gaming or using my PC in like 2 years, now I'm thinking about upgrading my ram

I already have 2x8gb both corsair model CMK8GX4M1D3000C16

I'm thinking of buying 2 more 8gb rams corsair model CMK16GX4M2D3600C16

I know the weaker one will bottleneck the stronger one, but they are literally the same price in my country so my question is should I proceed buying CMK16GX4M2D3600C16 since they're the same price and are they gonna work? Are there going to be any downsides except lower performance from stronger one etc. thank you very much.
You aren't guaranteed to have the RAM work at rated speeds using 4 DIMMs. Overall you would be better off getting a single 2x 16GB kit.

Thank you for answering, so 2x16 would be better than 32gb 4 channel on those speeds?
RAM of different speeds, latencies, brands, etc... don't play well together. Odds are you would only get 2133MHz, maybe 2400MHz, from the 4 DIMMs. Even if you got the exact same RAM (brand, speed, latency) it doesn't play well together when not bought in the same kit. That is why it is always better to buy 2x larger DIMMs than 4x smaller DIMMs.

What is the make/model of your motherboard?
What makes you think you might need 32gb of ram?

That said,
Ram is sold in kits for a reason.
A motherboard must manage all the ram using the same specs of voltage, cas and speed.
The internal workings are designed for the capacity of the kit.
Ram from the same vendor and part number can be made up of differing manufacturing components over time.
Some motherboards, can be very sensitive to this.
This is more difficult when more sticks are involved.

If you do buy more disparate sticks, they should be the same speed, voltage and cas numbers.
Even then your chances of working are less than 100%
I might guess 90% success for intel and much less for amd.

What is your plan "B" if the new stick/s do not work?
Can they be returned?

If you want 32gb, my suggestion is to buy a 2 x 16gb ram kit that is explicitly supported by your motherboard/cpu combo on the motherboard ram qvl list or by the ram maker support app.

Keep upir old ram as a spare or sell it.