Question about ram speed/cpu temps

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015
So since i build my first rig with software tweaking etc... it's as stable as a oak table. (runs perfectly fine).

So i'm wondering why 1866mhz makes my cpu run roughly 10 degrees warmer when gaming than if it runs at 1600 mhz. This i found out when updating my BIOS, it dialed my ram back to 1600 mhz (which i found out about a day later lol) and i was pretty surprised that my cpu was running quiete cooler then when my ram was running at 1866, went to BIOS and turned x.m.p on and when gaming the cpu was indeed a little warmer. This is not an issue for me because the cpu runs around 60 when heavy gaming and sometimes peaks to 72 MAX. (only with battlefront so far). I was wondering if there is something wrong anywhere in my system, but i'm not that worried. Just want to be sure

(cpu is running at 4.4 GHZ)

Solution
Guessting you own a Haswell cpu. I5/i7 haswells are rated for up to 1600Mhz RAM. Going past that puts more strain on the IMC thus generating more heat.

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Would it be worth dialing my ram back to 1600 Mhz? Battlefront kinda recommends 18gb ram and i'm guessing faster ram will help with making calculations ingame.. I might be wrong tho, but what would u recommend?

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Would u recommend dialing my ram to 1600 mhz? just for a lower cpu temp, does it really affect performance that much?

Samat

Distinguished

In general with Intel cpus ram speed doesn't make much difference in games, so as such you don't gain much with the higher frequency. It makes more difference with applications that handle a lot of raw data like file compression or video editing. But since you have no problems with running the ram at 1866MHz you could just keep it there to get any boost it gives to performance.

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Thanks for the reply man, well i'm planning for oc'ing my cpu in the future even further and with it already peaking to 72 sometimes is maybe a little to warm to be comfortable. I might just set it to 1600 and try it out ;) I would select this as 2nd best answer but i can't xD.

Cheers man!

emdea22

Distinguished
RAM capacity =/= RAM speed
A game needing 8GB of ram has nothing to do with your RAM speed (i'm guessing 18 was a typo as no game requires more than 8)
Few games benefit from faster ram. Last one i remember was F1 2012. The IMC in haswell is very fast so even 1600mhz is more than enough for memory to not become a bottleneck. There are other factors that determine the actual memory bandwidth for example if i run "winsat mem" on 2 of my systems i get this:

AMD A10 5800K - Dual Channel - 2133Mhz - 12718MB/s
Intel 4790K*stock Dual Channel- 1600Mhz - 20000MB/s

You can clearly see the intel's memory controller is much faster even at a lower memory speed.

Samat

Distinguished

NP, you'll propably gain more from the oc than the memory speed so you can play around with it if needed =)

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Ohhh, wow, finnaly i know why i have this weird jittery issue in some games... dude i thank you ;)
and i didn't mean 18, that was my typo, i ment 16 gb ram was recommended for star wars battlefront and 8gb was minimum, altough i didn't have any issue in that game with everything maxed out ;)

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Will try that out!, But i think auto will put ram speed to stock 1333 Mhz if i'm not mistaken

Destim

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2015

Just as i thought, these modules will not run at 1600 at stock, it sets them at 1333.
Since i didn't have to much issues i just set my ram back to 1866 with x.m.p.
Might buy a different set in the future if it starts causing issues, have this pc for like 6 months now and it's all OK.
But thanks for all the info!