[SOLVED] Question about RAM

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 24, 2020
What do i need to look at so i can know is my RAM low density memory or high density memory ?
Do i need to look at chip, bus, pins ?
Do i need to look at clock rate, cycle time, transfer rate, bandwidth...

Solution
Look 1 guy told me that problem because my PC is crashing when i installed the new ram KHX1333C9D3B1/4G is because it's probably because RAM is high density and my MotherBoard only supports low density since it's old one 775 socket
He is correct that your motherboard uses low density -- he is wrong about the density, that is low density memory.

If you are mixing sticks that may well be a problem though, if you have any hope of them working together you must boot on the old memory and change the bios to use the slowest timings of either and highest voltage required of either.

Memory is only guaranteed to work in sets -- if you buy individual sticks you run the chance of them not working together.
Apr 24, 2020
It's one stick, right? Test it in all the slots of the mobo. If it doesn't work can you at least provide all the specs of you PC including Mobo, CPU, RAM. You should usually include your specs in the first post anyway.
Motherboard is G41C-GS
CPU Intel Xeon E5450 3.0 GHZ
RAM 4GB 1333 MHZ KTH9600B/4G
Graphics Card GTX 1050 TI Windforce OC 4GB

Apr 24, 2020
That's pretty sketchy. Mods can cause different issues. I think you should just buy some other ram or something. DDR3 is dirt cheap on ebay.
Lemme just tell you 1 year ago i bought 5 different RAM's and none of them did work till i didn't found KTH9600B/4G and this is sixth time that it doesn't work and nobody doesn't know what is the problem

Aug 30, 2019
Lemme just tell you 1 year ago i bought 5 different RAM's and none of them did work till i didn't found KTH9600B/4G and this is sixth time that it doesn't work and nobody doesn't know what is the problem
Why didn't you say so? It's most likely the mod or something. Just get another stick of what you have and have 8gb. Here's some for cheap:
https://www.ebay.com/i/253715522711...wh3oI3-_fR-qlS8yFteYv3x3FZa2BE-xoC7WEQAvD_BwE

Scrolling around you can find even more for cheaper

RealBeast

Titan
Look 1 guy told me that problem because my PC is crashing when i installed the new ram KHX1333C9D3B1/4G is because it's probably because RAM is high density and my MotherBoard only supports low density since it's old one 775 socket
He is correct that your motherboard uses low density -- he is wrong about the density, that is low density memory.

If you are mixing sticks that may well be a problem though, if you have any hope of them working together you must boot on the old memory and change the bios to use the slowest timings of either and highest voltage required of either.

Memory is only guaranteed to work in sets -- if you buy individual sticks you run the chance of them not working together.

Solution

RealBeast

Titan
I just checked and RAM KHX1333C9D3B1 is low density so i don't know what can make this problem
Is this being used in an HP/Compaq desktop computer? If so, exactly which model?

From the spec sheets that I have seen, the old memory is single rank, while the KHX1333C9D3B1/4G is dual rank and may not work with the old stick if the chipset does not allow mixing them. And the motherboard may require the use of single rank memory depending on its specifications.

Reactions: SamirD