Question About Reshade/Sweetfx

Denganim20

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017
So I recently discovered Reshade, and I used to use Sweetfx, and love it. I use DOF effects, colorfullness, fake HDR, and slap on FXAA and SMAA. It's amazing it's like a night and day difference. Only problem... is it takes like 20 FPS out of all my games that use it. So I overclocked and tuned some settings but it's still not enough. I heard if you only check off a few settings in the Reshade setup as opposed to all it helps. That made no difference and I even tried using Performance mode. Is there a way I can mash Sweetfx and Reshade together to make performance better? What can I do?

Solution

With Ryzen it matters a lot what frequency your RAM is, since it's Infinity Fabric core interconnects are tied to it. It's good to have at least 3200 speed. Also, the Ryzens are only good for streaming unless you go with a very high end one. A 2070 would be better matched with a 2700X, or better yet 8600k or 8700k.

Anyways, my main point is configuring SweetFX or ReShade profiles on your own takes a lot of know how. On top of that, each game is different as far as what it can handle modding wise. This is why most gamers search for good profiles made by experts that are known to work well. In fact a lot of the more popular mods are actually made by modding teams, not just one...
Hard to say without mentioning your PC spec. ReShade can be extremely good performance wise if you know what you're doing with it though. The best example of that I can think of is the Mafia III Color Correction/Blur Removal mod by nyclix. I was having tons of performance issues with the game on my 7970 and it looked like crap, but that mod made it look and run way better.

I also don't think the amount of effects you employ is everything to do with it, because there are 47 effects used in that mod.

Denganim20

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

Well my specs are Ryzen 5 1600, RTX 2070, 16GB RAM.

With Ryzen it matters a lot what frequency your RAM is, since it's Infinity Fabric core interconnects are tied to it. It's good to have at least 3200 speed. Also, the Ryzens are only good for streaming unless you go with a very high end one. A 2070 would be better matched with a 2700X, or better yet 8600k or 8700k.

Anyways, my main point is configuring SweetFX or ReShade profiles on your own takes a lot of know how. On top of that, each game is different as far as what it can handle modding wise. This is why most gamers search for good profiles made by experts that are known to work well. In fact a lot of the more popular mods are actually made by modding teams, not just one modder.

Solution

Denganim20

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017

Denganim20

Commendable
Jun 29, 2017
Understood, ideally though if I were to overclock my Ryzen and have 3200Mhz RAM I should be fine, which I do have. But I suppose a better CPU investment would be ideal when I can get around to that.

As for Reshade and such I'll just have to find more optimized and professional profiles I suppose.

I recommend getting on YouTube and search for "ReShade mod for [insert game title]". The reason I suggest that is they often have videos of how the mod looks and performs, and others commenting on how it works on their spec.

That's how I found the Mafia III mod, and I also found a great guide on how to install it that way. Some of these mods can be fairly complex as far as install method, depending on the game.