[SOLVED] Question about transferring files between HDD's

Dec 19, 2019
Hey, so I was going to buy a new harddrive as my current one is only 1TB and also very old and slow.

Originally I was going to buy another 1TB HHD and transfer the OS and main files that I use onto it, however after looking my very old case doesnt have the required slots to hold two HHD's, however I do have enough SATA ports.

Then I was going to buy a 2TB drive and transfer all the files across including the OS (If I can), but I then realised I will problablty need both HDD's plugged in at the same time to do that, so do I need to manually reinstall everything and transfer the files another way, or can I have them both installed but not in case slots until all the files are transferred across.

Also my motherboard is very old (H81M-P33), however it states it has enough SATA ports, so will it still be able to handle a bigger and faster HDD or will it bottleneck due to how old it is?

Thanks in advance :D

Solution
So, I would do a clean install on my new drive? How would I get about getting a OS on there, would I buy a new key or something?
You do NOT need to buy a new license key.
Read the link above. It outlines the whole OS install process, including where to get the Win 10 and how to create a USB for this.

USAFRet

Titan
You can temporarily have the new drive not mounted in the case.

For a potential clone operation:
What OS is this?
Is it currently running to your satisfaction?
How much space is consumed on your current 1TB?

Cloning details to follow if applicable.

Dec 19, 2019
  1. Windows 10
  2. If you are talking about my HDD then no, 10minutes minimum before I have all the applications I typically use such as Google Chrome, spotify from hitting the power button. I have a few things on start up but nothing that effect the startup time too much
  3. 80.8GB, this fluctuates alot as I install/uninstall different games

Also would I have enough time to transfer my files across as im not sure of the exact figures of my HDD but its really, really bad (Some random Toshiba 10 year old HDD)

USAFRet

Titan
#2 indicates a clone operation is NOT recommended.
If it is acting up, a clone might simply transfer the problem (bad data) to the new drive.

And since you only have 80GB consumed space, there isn't a lot on there.

Clean install on a new drive is what is needed here.

Dec 19, 2019
Is there anyway I could transfer simple files such as text documents, , photos, videos, video game settings etc. Or should I put them on a flash drive or somewhere on the cloud. Also what should I do about my OS, is there anyway of transferring it over?

EDIT: just realised I misread the third question, I have 80 left, not 80 used, my bad.

USAFRet

Titan
Is there anyway I could transfer simple files such as text documents, , photos, videos, video game settings etc. Or should I put them on a flash drive or somewhere on the cloud. Also what should I do about my OS, is there anyway of transferring it over?
Yes, put your personal files on some other device. Flash drive, or online somewhere.

Transferring the OS would be what is involved in a clone operation.

Clean install on a new drive.
OS and all your drivers, applications, etc.
Start over.

TRENDING THREADS