Question Question about upgrading to a SSD

dharriso2099

Reputable
May 5, 2018
ok so I am thinking about getting a M.2 SSD this week (first time ever using a SSD). Can I install Windows 10 to it, keep my current HD that has windows 10 as a slave drive then remove windows 10 from it, without losing all my other programs I have on my two HDs?

dharriso2099

Reputable
May 5, 2018
what if I install a fresh copy of Windows 10 on the SDD, will I still be able to use it as the boot, have the hard drive with the old windows 10 as the slave, then remove windows 10 from the hard drive once I am finished getting it set as a slave drive?

No.
When you do a new/clean install on your m.2 ssd, you will be getting a new and empty registry.
Programs that were previously installed will have no entries in the new windows and will not run.

If your programs are steam games, there is a procedure to address that issue. Otherwise, you are looking at reinstalling your apps.

If your new ssd is large enough to hold the used contents of your current windows C drive, there is a simple solution.
If the new drive is a Samsung ssd, then you can use the free Samsung ssd migration app to move all to the ssd.
After, you can do whatever you wish with the old HDD, for example, completely emptying it of all partitions and data.

If you use a different brand ssd, some makers will have similar utilities.
Otherwise, you will need to use a clone utility like macrium reflect and do a bit for bit copy.

USAFRet

Titan
ok so I am thinking about getting a M.2 SSD this week (first time ever using a SSD). Can I install Windows 10 to it, keep my current HD that has windows 10 as a slave drive then remove windows 10 from it, without losing all my other programs I have on my two HDs?
No.
The programs on the old drive will be null and void.
Won't work.

What size/make/model SSD are you looking at?
How much space is consumed on your current C drive?