Question Question about using old parts in new pc i want to build[SOLVED]

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
Hi. My main HDD has recently died and i can no longer use my PC. I thought about getting a new PC, but it would be a shame to do so when i have so many good parts left. If i want to do a clean, fresh install, do i need to replace my motherboard and buy a new HDD to install Windows on?

Thanks in advance.

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
No. Just install windows on the replacement HDD (or SSD preferably).
If it's Windows 10, it should automatically activate from the handshake with your existing mobo.
But if the MB is faulty, as i think it is since i havent been able to reinstall Windows on another hdd, then i should i replace it as well ?

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
Please tell us the procedure you are using to attempt to install Windows on (another) HDD.
After removing the main hdd,
I connect a new HDD, start the computer, choose dvd player as first boot option in BIOS, restart the computer, go through installation phase, and then hit a wall. The selected drive cannot have Windows installed on it. I tried the same process with yet another HDD, and it was the same result. I already tried so many times to make the other drives available, but to no avail. This leads me to think the MOBO is at fault.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
After removing the main hdd,
I connect a new HDD, start the computer, choose dvd player as first boot option in BIOS, restart the computer, go through installation phase, and then hit a wall. The selected drive cannot have Windows installed on it. I tried the same process with yet another HDD, and it was the same result. I already tried so many times to make the other drives available, but to no avail. This leads me to think the MOBO is at fault.

Have you tried the "advanced options" on install to see if you can actually delete the existing partitions on those HDD?
Do you know if they were in a Linux based system before this?

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
Have you tried the "advanced options" on install to see if you can actually delete the existing partitions on those HDD?
Do you know if they were in a Linux based system before this?
Yes. Ive tried deleting the partitions. Im talking about brand new HDDS that i tried to install Windows on. I dont remember all the details but i know i tried so many ways to make those drives available for a Windows installation. I think this may have to do with my MB "registering " the info of my first main HDD and preventing me with reinstalling on another HDD

USAFRet

Titan
I think this may have to do with my MB "registering " the info of my first main HDD and preventing me with reinstalling on another HDD
No, it doesn't work like that.

That includes a full deletion of ALL partitions on the drive.
Section II speaks to doing that.

Ruckus95

Reputable
Feb 8, 2017
"anything" is not a parts list.

Specific make/model of everything, please.
OS
Windows 10 x64
MB
Asrock micro atx
RAM
GSKILL Sniper series SDRAM ddr3
PSU
750w
GPU
GTX 970
CPU
amd fx8350
HDD
WD Blue 1TB

I cannot boot my computer anymore. All i get is a black screen. The only way to access the BIOS is by removing any drive connected to my sata cables. Every time i reconnect my HDD, i get a black screen again. If i only connect the dvd player, i can access the BIOS and choose it as first boot option. But once i connect any other HDD( with the dvd player already connected), including my main HDD, i get a black screen again. This is why i think my MB is faulty, as well as my HDD

SM/Madao

Great
Jul 2, 2020
OS
Windows 10 x64
MB
Asrock micro atx
RAM
GSKILL Sniper series SDRAM ddr3
PSU
750w
GPU
GTX 970
CPU
amd fx8350
HDD
WD Blue 1TB

I cannot boot my computer anymore. All i get is a black screen. The only way to access the BIOS is by removing any drive connected to my sata cables. Every time i reconnect my HDD, i get a black screen again. If i only connect the dvd player, i can access the BIOS and choose it as first boot option. But once i connect any other HDD( with the dvd player already connected), including my main HDD, i get a black screen again. This is why i think my MB is faulty, as well as my HDD

Mod ask for specific Model but your info lack of certain detail info:

OS
Windows 10 x64 (This is Ok)
MB
Asrock micro atx (this is merely size and Brand, not the Model)
RAM
GSKILL Sniper series SDRAM ddr3 (How many GB?)
PSU
750w (Brand and Detailed Model Please)
GPU
GTX 970 (Brand and Vram size Please)
CPU
amd fx8350 (This is Ok)
HDD
WD Blue 1TB (This is Ok)