Question Question about vertical GPU mounting temps

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hi i own the Lian LI Lancool II Mesh case and was thinking about getting the vertical mounting bracket for my GPU and well everywhere else that i have went to to find out if the temps would be better or worst they all talk about other cases where the GPU is like right up against the side panel which in my case it isn't close to the side panel glass.
So just would like to know if i was to buy that vertical GPU mounting bracket would it help out a little more with my temps or would it just be a waste for looks and also like to note that i do have 2 120mm fans on the bottom of my case for intake which i have seen images of the mount getting pretty close to the fans as well.

It depends on how close the video card is up against the side panel. Though thinking about it, it may also cause some heating up if there are fans on the bottom pointing up. Since the card is now blowing air towards the top and bottom, the bottom air stream may cause an interference that allows a build up of hot air to form.

I'm not a remotely a fluid dynamics person so I don't know how it'd really interact.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
It depends on how close the video card is up against the side panel. Though thinking about it, it may also cause some heating up if there are fans on the bottom pointing up. Since the card is now blowing air towards the top and bottom, the bottom air stream may cause an interference that allows a build up of hot air to form.

I'm not a remotely a fluid dynamics person so I don't know how it'd really interact.

This is just an example of the vertical mounting system that they have which you can see would be far from the side panel and yes does have vent holes so the GPU could get additional air from the bottoms fans which i know there would be hot air coming out from the other side of the GPU but also i do use an AIO on my CPU and my rear and top fans are for exhausting the hot air from my system.
42476.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Being further from the glass is a good thing, but not much else changes. It could be a little worse, but it's up to you to test that.
Speaking in terms of function, V-gpu is really for liquid cooled gpus. There's no potential of recycling the gpu's exhaust back into them, except if the built wasn't well planned out.

Those bottom fans in the above image don't do much, if at all, because they're blocked by the psu, it's cables, and the HDD cage(if it's in use). So the bottom side exhausted heat cycles back into the gpu cooler.
The top side exhaust actually goes somewhere.

Exia00

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Being further from the glass is a good thing, but not much else changes. It could be a little worse, but it's up to you to test that.
Speaking in terms of function, V-gpu is really for liquid cooled gpus. There's no potential of recycling the gpu's exhaust back into them, except if the built wasn't well planned out.

Those bottom fans in the above image don't do much, if at all, because they're blocked by the psu, it's cables, and the HDD cage(if it's in use). So the bottom side exhausted heat cycles back into the gpu cooler.
The top side exhaust actually goes somewhere.

This is just to show how my PSU is like and also the image i used above was from the Lian Li site which the Lancool II Mesh has a mesh airflow area on the bottom area where the PSU is so the fans on the bottom can get proper airflow and i have my bottom fans right now set to intake.
This was also the only site i remember that i could upload my personal image so sorry for the watermark they have on it.
20220223_201034_HDR.jpg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Exia00
[The harder it is for air to enter and exit porous surfaces - or go around them - the harder(faster) your fans have to work to get air through. It also means more performance is sacrificed at lower rpms]
Look at the front panel - namely, the obstacles your fans in that area have to deal with to get air in. Looks pretty good, right?
Top panel - same deal. Looking good?
Rear fan grille... good, right? This part is typically the most porous area of most cases.
Horizontal PCIe slot guards. The gpu can actually get some air through there - not much with how tiny those holes can be, but it's something, I guess. Would be more effective to remove them, as they're not filtered anyway, but not everyone is in a position to do that.

Psu shroud. The fan closest to the back is blocked by the psu. It's not going to grab air from the 4th dimension or anything... it's going to snatch it from the easiest space closest to it, which is right above it, and recirculate it. Great, huh?
The other fan isn't much better off - air can't travel straight through the labyrinth of cables, and the fan itself looks to have half of it covered by the V-gpu.
Those fans will do more to move dust than aid in cooling hardware.

trandaa

Reputable
Feb 21, 2019
This is just an example of the vertical mounting system that they have which you can see would be far from the side panel and yes does have vent holes so the GPU could get additional air from the bottoms fans which i know there would be hot air coming out from the other side of the GPU but also i do use an AIO on my CPU and my rear and top fans are for exhausting the hot air from my system.

I have similar bracket cramped into my beQuiet! Pure Base 500 paired with a Sapphire Pulse RX5600XT and air-cooled CPU. The temperature difference was 2°C when running Time Spy and Firestrike with score differences under 1%.
If you don't run any super powerful GPU which produces excessive amount of heat, you should be fine

TRENDING THREADS