Question Question about VSync and FreeSync and monitor

Aug 28, 2019
Hi. So correct me if I'm wrong. VSync is the FPS matching the monitor's refresh rate. FreeSync is the monitor's refresh rate matching the FPS. I've also read that VSync can cause perf loss and input lag.
My question is:
I've found this monitor https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-LC27JG50QQUXEN-27-Inch-WQHD-Monitor/dp/B07FB3JLLS which is around 250. There is also another version https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-LC27JG50QQNZA-Curved-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B07FBNNWVV (this) which costs 50-70 more (300-320) but it has FreeSync.
So is it really worth to pay 50-70 more just for the FreeSync.
Can I for example, if absolute lowest FPS is 160(for example), cap the FPS at 144? That way the FPS and RefRate match (assuming FPS maintains 144 constantly). And if let's assume my minimum FPS would be 80, I can just lower the RefRate of my monitor to 60, and cap the FPS at 60 so they both match. That way I'm not using VSync which would cause perf loss and input lag, and I also don't need to spend 50-70 more on a monitor which has that feature.
So basically the idea is to match the refresh rate of my monitor to FPS under the lowest FPS to make sure that FPS stays constant.
So like manually matching the frames.
Does what I say make sense? Correct me if I'm wrong.(I'm still a noob atm)
Thanks in advance.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Freesync and Gsync operate within a refresh range and both methods eliminate screen tear reducing input lag as Vsyncs's frame delay isn't in effect. Screen tear can happen in any frame if not synced so fps can be under or over refresh for this to happen and there can also be an micro stutter effect if fps is excessively over the refresh rate.

Freesync/Gsync won't have that. It is still good to have Vsync enabled in tandem though, acting as an fps cap so frame rates don't leave sync range - if system is capable of more. Within this range, Vsync is automatically turned off.

Advantages to these sync methods is they can actually help prolong your system's upgrade path because visuals are smoother, you don't notice fluctuations as much and youd probably be contempt holding on longer.