Question question as to why i cant seem to maximize my cpu's potential with plenty of thermal headroom

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i have a amd 7900x3d i set pbo according to a toms article 162, 180, 220 i believe it was, anyways im playing skylines 2 it maximizes cpu usage totaly however my max temps with a thermalright 360 aio water cooler an themral grizzly kryosheet ,

my max temps are 69 degrees, average is bit above 60 but my clocks are averging 5.0 all cores so there clearly plenty of thermal headroom, and all the cores run full tilt so im just wondering why it does'nt run closer to somthin like 5.2 on cdvcache cores and 5.6 on non vcach cores

check with hwinfo sensors what is limiting it, but most likely you would hit EDC limit, which stands for electric design current...which in anoter words means VRM,
vrm on mainboard usualy runs at 1/3 up to max 1/2 amperage...to cope with peak load/ripples..in other words to raise EDC, there should be headroom, but VRM would also start to heat up, so make sure your VRM temps are fine