[SOLVED] Question bout next Gen gpu Ada Lovelace and pcie 3.0

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
I'm wondering if I do eventually upgrade my 2080 with say a 4070 possibly even a 4080 will use 4080 for argument sake will I loose out on performance slotting it into a pcie 3.0slot with 4.4ghz all cores 8700k?

These cards will be either pcie4 or 5 but was wondering what kind of performance impact would I be looking at and would the performance impact be more profound with a 4070 given it has lower cache slower memory bit rate bus ect

Solution
I'm wondering if I do eventually upgrade my 2080 with say a 4070 possibly even a 4080 will use 4080 for argument sake will I loose out on performance slotting it into a pcie 3.0slot with 4.4ghz all cores 8700k?

These cards will be either pcie4 or 5 but was wondering what kind of performance impact would I be looking at and would the performance impact be more profound with a 4070 given it has lower cache slower memory bit rate bus ect
Probably very little.
3090ti.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgP8AtOOlw

KyaraM

Admirable
Let me consult my crystal ball...

In seriousness, though, I don't think anyone can tell you anything concrete yet. All we know are assumptions, leaks, and tidbits. Personally, I think there might be, but by how much, who knows. We will see in a couple of months. Best to come back then I think, when we know more.

jasonf2

Distinguished
That one is going to be really tough to tell without having real world card data. My guess would be that while you will probably see some percentage of reduction the bigger one you will see is the CPU bottleneck from your 8700k. Even the hottest CPUs right now are working overtime to really keep up with the high end 3000 series GPUs. If past increases in raw processing power hold true to the 4000 series they are going to take high end CPUs to feed them to see any real appreciable gains in real world.

Reactions: KyaraM

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

Probably very little.
3090ti.
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_xgP8AtOOlw

Solution