[SOLVED] Question concerning m.2 E wifi slot on mobo

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
My new pc I am having built has an M.2 E slot for wifi. but I have no clue what type of m.2 e wifi cards to get. can people please link me some of them? I looked it up on Amazon. but one that is 22 dollars has no spec info and another i looked at said it wont work on m.2 on desktops. I am completely confused because this is a new area for me. Also the type of wifi is 802.11ac WiFi. I would perfer one that is also blue tooth capable so i can use my ps4/xbox on/ Nin switch controllers on it! Please and thank yous!

Solution
the mobo is an ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 4S-IB, Also looking for some good 32 gig ram sticks that will work with it. will have to buy them one at a time though
Yes, your board supports "1 x M.2 Socket (Key E), supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module and Intel® CNVi (Integrated WiFi/BT)" from its specs, so the Intel AC9560 (I do not think that it is qualified for the AX version but there is really no speed difference anyway). There is a cautionary footnote that it "supports CNVio1 WiFi module(Intel® Wireless-AC 9560/9462/9461) only." That would be THIS module that I mentioned above and have used. Note that you do need to buy a pair of the small antenna wires to attach to it.

HERE is the memory that will...

RealBeast

Titan
My new pc I am having built has an M.2 E slot for wifi. but I have no clue what type of m.2 e wifi cards to get. can people please link me some of them? I looked it up on Amazon. but one that is 22 dollars has no spec info and another i looked at said it wont work on m.2 on desktops. I am completely confused because this is a new area for me. Also the type of wifi is 802.11ac WiFi. I would perfer one that is also blue tooth capable so i can use my ps4/xbox on/ Nin switch controllers on it! Please and thank yous!
Which model motherboard? Some now come with an M.2 2230 slot that will fit CNVi cards like an Intel AC 9560, which also supports BT 5.1.

Last edited:

RealBeast

Titan
the mobo is an ASRock Z390 PHANTOM GAMING 4S-IB, Also looking for some good 32 gig ram sticks that will work with it. will have to buy them one at a time though
Yes, your board supports "1 x M.2 Socket (Key E), supports type 2230 WiFi/BT module and Intel® CNVi (Integrated WiFi/BT)" from its specs, so the Intel AC9560 (I do not think that it is qualified for the AX version but there is really no speed difference anyway). There is a cautionary footnote that it "supports CNVio1 WiFi module(Intel® Wireless-AC 9560/9462/9461) only." That would be THIS module that I mentioned above and have used. Note that you do need to buy a pair of the small antenna wires to attach to it.

HERE is the memory that will work. DO NOT plan to buy memory one stick at a time as they are not guaranteed to work as a set with even the exact same sticks.

I usually go with G.Skill around 3200 speed. If you are looking at 64GB, I am using a set of THESE with an i9-9900KF, which are 4x16GB and won't cost you a kidney like some of the TridentZ for the fancy color.

If you want 128GB and have that spare kidney to sell, THIS is compatible according to the G.Skill site. ASRock never qualified the board for 32GB modules that I see other than one specific expensive orsair set CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 ver:5.4 (2x32GB) or CMK128GX4M2D3600C18 ver:5.49 (4x32GB).

Last edited:
Solution

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017

HERE is the memory that will work. DO NOT plan to buy memory one stick at a time as they are not guaranteed to work as a set with even the exact same sticks.

I usually go with G.Skill around 3200 speed. If you are looking at 64GB, I am using a set of THESE with an i9-9900KF, which are 4x16GB and won't cost you a kidney like some of the TridentZ for the fancy color.

If you want 128GB and have that spare kidney to sell, THIS is compatible according to the G.Skill site. ASRock never qualified the board for 32GB modules that I see other than one specific expensive orsair set CMK64GX4M2D3600C18 ver:5.4 (2x32GB) or CMK128GX4M2D3600C18 ver:5.49 (4x32GB).
yeah I decided on the 64 giog you posted for me, it is the same price of the single 32 gig stick that I was gonna buy. so thank you. now I have to wait to see if I can afford the Wifi. also why will i need need to buy a pair of the small antenna? the card you posted doesnt seem to show that you need them? or is it because of the Mobo?

RealBeast

Titan
yeah I decided on the 64 giog you posted for me, it is the same price of the single 32 gig stick that I was gonna buy. so thank you. now I have to wait to see if I can afford the Wifi. also why will i need need to buy a pair of the small antenna? the card you posted doesnt seem to show that you need them? or is it because of the Mobo?
The 9560 Intel wireless card is only about $20 on Amazon and the Antennae are $7 for the pair and are made for that wireless adapter. Note on the picture of the card the two little spots on the upper right -- those are the antenna attachment points.

Any wireless adapter has antennae, the PCIe version has two or three little rabbit ears. Inside a laptop there are a couple wires like the link that are spread around the inside. Your wireless router either has external or internal antennae too.

Last edited:

markgraham312

Honorable
Dec 13, 2017
Okay I see where to install it but do they just sit in the case? do i have to run it outside the PC? what? i have no earthly clue as its my first time with such a thing >< maybe an image to help me?