[SOLVED] Question For Dell S2721DGF Owners (Or 1440p in General)

Rukeith

Honorable
Oct 14, 2014
I've been eyeing this monitor as my entry into 1440p as it's on sale here for a very good price but have a few questions/concerns i'd like to ask any owners of this monitor:

1. How noticeable is the lower contrast ratio when compared to other ips/tn panels? I'm ok with blacks looking more dark grey, I've never had or even seen a VA/OLED so if it's not all that bad or distracting then i'd be ok with it
  2. How well does 1080p video content fair in 1440p? I doubt i'd ever be gaming at a lower than native resolution so that won't be a problem, but for things like YouTube, twitch or Netflix does it look fine compared to a native 1080p display?
  3. If you came from a 24" 1080p display, is the change in PPI compared to its 27" 1440p display notably sharper?
  4. Do you have any regrets? what are downsides you've found if any?

Solution
For a comprehensive review I suggest reading through https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf

For the things that the review doesn't cover
How well does 1080p video content fair in 1440p? I doubt i'd ever be gaming at a lower than native resolution so that won't be a problem, but for things like YouTube, twitch or Netflix does it look fine compared to a native 1080p display?
It's not distracting enough to be a problem in my opinion.

If you came from a 24" 1080p display, is the change in PPI compared to its 27" 1440p display notably sharper?
Slightly, but not as significant as jumping from a 27" 1440p to a 27" 4K. I'd say if you're fine with 100% scaling without squinting, which I'd argue is doable by...
For a comprehensive review I suggest reading through https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/dell/s2721dgf

For the things that the review doesn't cover
How well does 1080p video content fair in 1440p? I doubt i'd ever be gaming at a lower than native resolution so that won't be a problem, but for things like YouTube, twitch or Netflix does it look fine compared to a native 1080p display?
It's not distracting enough to be a problem in my opinion.

If you came from a 24" 1080p display, is the change in PPI compared to its 27" 1440p display notably sharper?
Slightly, but not as significant as jumping from a 27" 1440p to a 27" 4K. I'd say if you're fine with 100% scaling without squinting, which I'd argue is doable by most people on a 27" 1440p monitor, you're not going to have that nice "retina" effect.

Do you have any regrets? what are downsides you've found if any?
Zero regrets going to a 27" 1440p monitor.

Solution