Question for gaming chair owners

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
I haven't bought a computer chair in 15 years, gaming chairs are the new cheap option for cheap padded chairs.

Almost all of these chair have "wings" that extend out from shoulders and around the seat of gaming chairs. Do they serve a purpose?

They look like they wedge your legs closed, and force you to slouch your shoulders forward, a lot of people buy them so, what's the deal with these 'wings'?
RzyyciT.jpg

USAFRet

Titan
The seat side parts are not, in my opinion and body shape, an issue.
The shoulder things may be an issue if you are wide up there.

And "cheap" chairs look the part, but they are "cheap".
I spent $300+ on my last one, a DXRacer. Beautiful, comfortable, lasted just over 4 years.
A $100-$150 knockoff that looks exactly the same would not have lasted that long.

The only reason the DX went in the trash was because it would no longer hold the vertical.

Those wings are to emulate car racing seats that hold you in place during high lateral g turns. I have a chair that looks identical to that, never found them an issue. The slightly more subtle version in my Focus RS mk3 were useful :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, someone, at some point, decided it was a good idea to make office chairs look like race car seats to market them to gamers, and apparently it worked, since lots of companies are doing it now. Functionally, those side wings don't really serve any real purpose when sitting at a desk though.

wicked_sticky

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2015
I know from my field of work, the shoulder wings, seat wings, head cushioning, bucket seats found in most modern cars, is not for ergonomics, the soyuz space shuttle has the same features, its to keep to body in and arched same to prevent spine damage at high speeds or accidents. Obviously I realize these chair are still office chair with race car themed

Bongert

Reputable
Jul 30, 2020
The seat side parts are not, in my opinion and body shape, an issue.
The shoulder things may be an issue if you are wide up there.

And "cheap" chairs look the part, but they are "cheap".
I spent $300+ on my last one, a DXRacer. Beautiful, comfortable, lasted just over 4 years.
A $100-$150 knockoff that looks exactly the same would not have lasted that long.

The only reason the DX went in the trash was because it would no longer hold the vertical.
The price doesnt really make a difference as most chairs have the core components produced in the same factories. this is very apparent when looking at the arm rests, they are virtually the same on all kinds of brands and they all include the same flaws. the only difference that youll find is for the padding and covers which, depending on the Price, can last longer or shorter. but all in all, even a 350 € noblechair will have the same design flaws as the cheapest on the market.