Question on different voltages for Wii u

Sep 10, 2018
So I like in the Philippines which has where the voltage of outlets are 220v. I bought a wii u a few years back in America and the voltage of the wii u power adaptor says 120v. For years I've been using a tranformer from here to change the voltage from 120 to 220 so that I could use my wii u. But a few days ago my dog bit the chord of my power adaptor and it doesn't work anymore.

My question is - if I were to buy (or use) a power cable from the Philippines where the voltage is 220v on the cable, would my wii u work? And would I still need to use a transformer?

Basically the question is also whether or not the importance of voltage comes from the wii u or the power adaptor

Solution
All that power brick does is rectify high voltage to low voltage. The low voltage won't change between models. So if it says 220V on the input, and the same voltages on the output as your old power supply, then everything will be fine and you can plug it right into a socket. So a locally sourced power brick should work fine.

All the models I am seeing are 100-240V input. When you say transformer do you just mean an adapter for the physical connector? Or are you actually using a step down transformer to take 220V down to 120V to run the power brick? Probably unnecessary from the start actually.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
All that power brick does is rectify high voltage to low voltage. The low voltage won't change between models. So if it says 220V on the input, and the same voltages on the output as your old power supply, then everything will be fine and you can plug it right into a socket. So a locally sourced power brick should work fine.

All the models I am seeing are 100-240V input. When you say transformer do you just mean an adapter for the physical connector? Or are you actually using a step down transformer to take 220V down to 120V to run the power brick? Probably unnecessary from the start actually.

Solution