Question Question on earth leakage

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Ok so apparently my house has grounding problems and I'm getting shocked at random times as it occurs twice a day.

But I need to use my desktop at times as well as my laptop and right now getting the grounding fixed requires everyone's cooperation which can take months...

So the question I want to ask is if I do get a shock from the PC case while I touch it powered on, do I need to shut it down inorder for the components to not get destroyed?

Or a better question..is it still safe to use the PC when the ground fault in s detected as in wait till the ground fault is gone and then continue using it while the PC is still running?

Ok so apparently my house has grounding problems and I'm getting shocked at random times as it occurs twice a day.

But I need to use my desktop at times as well as my laptop and right now getting the grounding fixed requires everyone's cooperation which can take months...

So the question I want to ask is if I do get a shock from the PC case while I touch it powered on, do I need to shut it down inorder for the components to not get destroyed?

Or a better question..is it still safe to use the PC when the ground fault in s detected as in wait till the ground fault is gone and then continue using it while the PC is still running?
Yes and make sure you turn off, even better unplug water heater when using hot water, it can kill !!!

Charge up the battery on your laptop elsewhere and use in only on battery power while at home.

Get that house wiring fixed asap!

See if an electrician can create a temporary grounded outlet for your pc by running a ground wire to earth or a cold water copper pipe.

WrongRookie

Reputable
Oct 23, 2020
Yes and make sure you turn off, even better unplug water heater when using hot water, it can kill !!!

I never use the heater or just rarely...what I don't get is it's not safe for the PC to still run during earthing leakage? What happens to the PC itself if it's exposed to earth leakage in the long run?

See if an electrician can create a temporary grounded outlet for your pc by running a ground wire to earth or a cold water copper pipe.

The problem is the building has one earthed wire which is linked to all the flats in the building. It requires the cooperation of everyone for this to be done. The alternative is rewiring my flat to a separate ground wire which may be pricey..

Right now three other people are getting affected by even touching the refrigerator and my dad is having a meeting call with them...

A faulty ground is a death trap just looking for a time and place. It only takes 0.1 to 0.2 amps across the heart to cause death (100 - 200 milliamps) which is easy to achieve if there is a break in the skin. Concentrate on getting that fixed ASAP. Then and only then worry about anything else.

Seems to me that you should be able to get the building management to do something immediately.
Do not just call.
Calls can be ignored.
In addition, send a letter documenting the issue so your complaint is on record and they become liable to lawsuits.
If no action, contact your city building code inspectors.

Status
Not open for further replies.