Question on formatting

mbs081200

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I'm the idiot that formatted the incorrect drive. I recently had Win98 on one HD and I bought a second HD to load WinXP. I wanted to keep all the info on the Win98 HD and I made it a secondary master. I made my new HD my primary master. I then tried formatting the new drive but I forgot to partition the drive first. It did howver format a c:/ drive. Would the format process automatically skip the master primary drive to the secondary if no partition is present on the primary? Even though I asked it to format c:?

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
It will only format the partition that you specify.

I know there are programs out there to recover the information, but I don't know what they would be. Even if I did I have never used them so I couldn't make a recommendation. You could also try using the unformat command from a dos prompt. I would type unformat C:\ /J (Where C:\ is the drive in question). Only drawback to that is that it's only for MS-DOS 5.0 and 6.

<A HREF="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q69767" target="_new"><font color=green>Information on Format, Unformat, and Mirror utilities (Q69767</font color=green></A>

<font color=red>People and hard drives are like bandwagon fans and sports!</font color=red>