Question Question on Netgear Nighthawk Router and Modem Compatability?

Mizmelzy

Reputable
Oct 11, 2019
Within the last year I had to upgrade my cable modem as it was outdated. I have Charter/Spectrum internet. The set up went fine and have not had any issues until the last 4 months.

What will happen is that all of a sudden the internet will get incredibly slow, and I'm talking less than a megabit per second slow (I tested it through ookala), and then just drop out. And at first it was only at night or early in the morning but now it happens whever. Sometimes I'd leave it over night and the next morning it would be fine without doing anything. I've tried just restarting the router but that never fixes it. All I have to do is reset the modem and then it's fine for about a week, and it happens again.

I have called spectrum and they have checked my modem out and it's working fine. Especially when the modem is directly plugged into my computer. They gave me a few tips to try and set the channel the router was on. That didn't work. I'm now suspecting possibly the Modem and the Router are not playing nicely with each other? Anyone know of an incompatibility with the Arris TM1602 Cable Modem and the R6400/AC1750 Router? I did post in the Netgear Community. No one has responded to my post. So now I'm looking elsewhere for help.

I happens on any computer ( anything connected to the internet). I'm not sure if it happens on the 2.4ghz. Most of my computers, Fire TV Box, and cell phones all connect to the 5g. There are not multiple people streaming stuff at the same time. Usually Just watching Netflix or not even streaming anything. Could just be on the internet. It just randomly drops out and I have to reset the modem and then it's fine.

Of course I can't call spectrum when it's happening because I only have a cell phone. I live in a rural area that gets no reception, so I have to have a network extender (that is plugged into the router) to get signals and make calls. So calling Spectrum when it happens is impossible. But they can't find anything wrong with it. They tell me they suspect the router has the issues. Of course Netgear won't help because it's past 90 days and so they will help for a fee.

I'm not sure if there is a setting that needs to be set or what. But resetting the modem even once a week is getting old. Sometimes it's more than once a week.

Is there a setting I need to change to get them to cooperate with each other?

Thanks in advance

Melissa

Model: R6400|AC1750 Smart WiFi Router