Question on ranges

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
According to the specs on the DLink homepage ( http://www.dlink.com/products/digitalHome/wireless/11b+/di614+/ ) the 614 has a range of 400m.. obviously that's taking the piss.. anyway.

Basically, what I want to do is link my home LAN with my friend's home LAN (he lives about 200m across from me, but there are few trees and a building or two in the way).

We both already have cable modems... I thought that if I buy the DI-614 (Wireless router) because I want a router for my lan anyway, all he should need is a PCI card and we can link?

I think the signal won't be strong enough (looking through previous posts in this forum) so I figure maybe a pringles can antenna is the way to go? If so, I should only need one my end or what?

Please help me out here guys.

Cheers.

If you can get line of sight,from window to window(upstiars,in the attic the back bedroom etc.)you can get by with the regular antenna.

If not you may need two pringles cans. this is trial and error.

I have 2 coffee can versions run 700 ft. through the woods Works great except in very heavy rain. Light to moderate rain does not seem to effect it much.

I aint signing nothing!!!

kwebb68

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2002
A building or two? Um....nope. 200 meters is do-able perhaps with partially obstructed view. If you have no line of sight at all, ie.. a couple of buildings, then a cantenna is very unlikely to make any difference at all, regardless of the gain. Start thinking about ways to get above the fray and how to get at least some LOS.