Question Question on upgrading an ASUS ROG GL10DH

Dec 9, 2022
*Not sure why this got moved from Prebuilt to Storage, as the question is more about Asus ROG utilities than it is storage.(?)

Howdy group - as much as I like this unit, the ASUS support from their website is abysmal. I'm hoping someone here will have some familiarity with this!

I have a 512GB M.2, GeForce 1660ti. 500W power supply. I want to replace it with a 1TB M.2, a GeForce 3060, and a 650W power supply.

I can handle the GPU and power supply, but I'm curious about the SSD swap. Since this is a prebuilt, I'm curious how I go about getting Windows onto the new SSD. I believe ASUS has a system restore function that lets me create some sort of image to a 16GB+ USB drive if my existing drive should become corrupt, but how would this work with a brand new unformatted SSD?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

*Not sure why this got moved from Prebuilt to Storage, as the question is more about Asus ROG utilities than it is storage.(?)
I didn't move your thread but you might want to pay attention to this line you included in your post;
I have a 512GB M.2, GeForce 1660ti. 500W power supply. I want to replace it with a 1TB M.2, a GeForce 3060, and a 650W power supply.

I can handle the GPU and power supply, but I'm curious about the SSD swap.
That being highlighted, have you narrowed down what SSD you'd like to replace the existing module with? You can clone the existing OS off the old SSD onto the new SSD, (if you go for a Samsung SSD, you can clone the OS with their tool), then replace the old SSD with the new. In fact, your motherboard should have two SSD slots on it, so the larger drive would be better served as a game library(assuming this build is going to be upgraded for gaming and not productivity).

Apart from the clone, you can reinstall your OS, as well, after recreating your bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools. Side note, prior to dropping in your SSD of choice, make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard.

Dec 9, 2022
Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I bought a Crucial 1TB SSD already. I was hoping to avoid an external M.2 reader and cloning, I'd prefer to do a fresh install and still be able to use the prebuilt's Windows key. Sounds like the Creation Tools may be the way to go? I'll check it out and see where I get.

Lutfij

Titan
I think you prematurely selected my post as the Best Answer. I've removed it since your thread yet has questions.

Yes you can reinstall the OS, while only having the Crucial SSD hooked up in your platform.

Speaking of;
Crucial 1TB SSD
If you intend to clone the OS onto the new drive, make sure your BIOS is to the latest version. Power down the system, turn off from the wall and display, then drop in the new SSD onto the other M.2 SSD slot on the motherboard(provided you actually have a second slot to work with for your motherboard), negating the need for an M.2 SSD dock/reader. I'm also assuming you're not referring to a 2.5" SSD from Crucial as they have a wide array of SSD's in their portfolio.