[Question] Power supply.

Dranolth

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014
I recently bought a Thermaltake Smart m650w power supply.

Today, after connecting it, I was on my PC and, suddenly, it turned off. It's the first time this has happened to me.

I bought the power supply to be able to use my Nvidia GTX 750 Ti, instead of the 9800 GT I was using, because my older hardware wasn't able to handle it, and, according to some research I did, this one was enough.

Now, just in case, I tried my older video card and the same thing happened, after a few minutes the PC shut off.

I'm beginning to think the problem is related to the power supply, but I was wondering if their could be any problem with any other component, even compatibility. I'm an ignorant when it comes to hardware.

As of now, my PC components are:
Processor: Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition.
MOBO: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Video Card: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 750 Ti
RAM: Kingston 6Gb (1 x 2Gb) (1 x 4Gb).

I'm sorry, but I can't post a DxDiag Log. The computer won't stay on long enough to get the information.

Solution
At Tom's, power supplies are rated on a tier list for quality. The quality is determined by very thorough testing. The PSU you have is a tier 4 unit-

"Tier Four
No Japanese capacitors found. Only Taiwanese capacitors and may even include Chinese capacitors. Very basic safety circuits or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice."

Click the link in this reply box for "PSU tier list" and see for yourself where yours is. What you need for a gaming system is something from tier 1 or 2. Tier 3 as a last resort but nothing lower.
You bought a low quality power supply. I suggest you return it if you can. Cheap ones like that are fine for an office pc, not a gaming rig. I realize you are not putting a big demand on it with your current hardware, but that does not change the fact that it is not a very good power supply.

Dranolth

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Overheating shouldn't be an issue. I mean, I try to keep my PC as clean as possible. Besides, this didn't use to happen with my old setup and, as I said in the post, I tried the new Power Supply with my old card and the PC shut off anyways.
You think, maybe, the PSU could be causing the overheating? It doesn't seem right, but again, I'm a total newbie when it comes to hardware.
Anyhow, thanks for your answer. I'll keep an eye on that.
It would be really frustrating if it was the PSU failing. I mean, it's brand new and I had to get it delivered to me from another city.

Dranolth

Reputable
Mar 4, 2014

Really? Well, crap.
No, I can't return it, unless it's damaged or broken. To tell you more, the PSU was recommended to me as a functional but rather cheap option, that wasn't that cheap, to be honest. But it might be because everything related to computer hardware is expensive in my country.
If you say I'm not putting a big demand on it, shouldn't it work properly and not shut my PC off?
Now, you are making me wonder if I have just thrown my money and bought something that was not good to begin with.

Not saying that the PSU is causing the overheating, just a possibility of a coincidence, the thermal paste could have worn off no matter how often you clean all dust inside.

See if you can check your CPU temps to be 100% sure that the PSU is the issue before going to replace it.

At Tom's, power supplies are rated on a tier list for quality. The quality is determined by very thorough testing. The PSU you have is a tier 4 unit-

"Tier Four
No Japanese capacitors found. Only Taiwanese capacitors and may even include Chinese capacitors. Very basic safety circuits or even thin gauge wiring used. Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. Avoid unless your budget dictates your choice."

Click the link in this reply box for "PSU tier list" and see for yourself where yours is. What you need for a gaming system is something from tier 1 or 2. Tier 3 as a last resort but nothing lower.

Solution