[SOLVED] Question regarding AIB chipsets and controllers

Aug 20, 2020
Hey,
I was wondering if the more knowledgeable members here would know if there are chipset or controller variance between the different manufacturers, despite the board being the same chipset itself (below is more of an explination of why I'm asking this)
I recently picked up an Asrock x570 Phantom Gaming X board. I cannot get Win7 to work on this board at all, despite doing everything correctly, and correctly modifying drivers INF files. However, I have seen accounts of people getting Win7 to work with the MSI Godlike x570 board, but that board is also 700$, which I already spent on the processor..

There are dozens of accounts of people manging to get Windows 7 to work with the X570 chipset. However, despite about 30 hours of exhausting tests, DVD reburns, different ISOs, manipulating BOOT.WIM's with drivers and mods, and all kinds of other crazy crap, I cannot get Win7 to work on this motherboard at all.

The FARTHEST I can get is getting the PE environment to boot, off of USB and SATA DVD, but in the USB case, the installer always demands drivers for the SATA Controller (DESPITE BEING ABLE TO BROWSE AND SEE ALL THE DRIVES ON THAT CONTROLLER) and the DVD 90% of the time will see the drives and allow me to pick one, but then will turn around and say that it cannot locate a system partition on the chosen drive. I've even tried installing windows on a different PC for the initial part, and bringing that back over to my x570 system, but Win7 won't even boot. I can't even see a BSOD, it just refuses to go through, despite slipstreaming drivers that worked for other x570 boards into the image, and those drivers possessing the same hardware IDs, which leads me to think it's possible some kind of variance exists.....

Thank you!

Solution
Those "dozens of accounts" you've referenced are probably very early adopters, who managed to "get Windows 7 to work with X570" on early BIOS versions. Changes in CMOS instructions or CPU microcode could easily removed the ability for it to work with this chipset if the manufacturers including AMD decided "enough is enough", because it has been known for a long time, YEARS, that this day was coming and in truth, Windows 7 wasn't EVER supposed to have been able to be used with any of the chipsets that have come out during the last at least year to two years.

There is no "variance", the problem is likely that Windows is not compatible with the current configuration in the BIOS, or, as I said, there have been intentional changes to the...
Those "dozens of accounts" you've referenced are probably very early adopters, who managed to "get Windows 7 to work with X570" on early BIOS versions. Changes in CMOS instructions or CPU microcode could easily removed the ability for it to work with this chipset if the manufacturers including AMD decided "enough is enough", because it has been known for a long time, YEARS, that this day was coming and in truth, Windows 7 wasn't EVER supposed to have been able to be used with any of the chipsets that have come out during the last at least year to two years.

There is no "variance", the problem is likely that Windows is not compatible with the current configuration in the BIOS, or, as I said, there have been intentional changes to the BIOS code to inhibit the use of Windows 7. Have you tried enabling CSM in the BIOS and disabling any UEFI configuration settings there?

Is there a REAL reason of some kind why you would WANT to run Windows 7 on this platform, because there isn't any benefit to it at all, regardless of what you might think or what you've heard from the tin foil hat crowd.

Solution