Question regarding dual-monitor set up

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015
Hi Guys, Girls,

I'm thinking of getting a G Sync monitor. Nothing too fancy, just a 1080p 24" 144Hz (or 120Hz) G Sync...since they're not too expensive.

My current monitor is the same size and an ordinary one at that but I'm planning to keep it since a dual-monitor set up will help me loads with the non-gaming stuff. When gaming, I'll only be on the G Sync monitor.

My question is;
Will having another monitor plugged in (but not in used whilst gaming) bring down the gaming performance? Or can the 980 Ti handle that easily?

Thank you.

Solution

Yup

The issue there would be g-sync, but if the game is running in exclusive mode (not windowed) it should work fine with near zero impact on performance.

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015

That would switch between the single and dual-monitor set up, right? Essentially, it'll switch off the other monitor, won't it?

What if I don't want it switched off, what if I want it to just stay there as a the second screen with other stuff on? Like a Game guide I can glance over or YouTube videos or Spotify? Will that still affect the gaming performance on the G Sync monitor?

Thank you.

Yup

The issue there would be g-sync, but if the game is running in exclusive mode (not windowed) it should work fine with near zero impact on performance.

Solution

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015

Is that the same as "borderless window" mode? Sorry if I'm being thick, I've not owned a high-end monitor before. That's why.

Thank you.

borderless window==windowed (it's in the name)

You'll have to check the game to see if it's supported, and same with nvidia forum

balamindin

Honorable
Sep 23, 2015

Okay, I see what you mean now. It's more to do with the game and hardware config but it certainly is possible.

Alright, thanks for quick response, mate. I'll mark it as solved.

Thank you.