Question Question Regarding Ram Settings with a Ryzen 5 2600

Zarconian

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
Hello,

I am having issues with my computer booting when I put a ram speed to a higher setting. I did some looking around and I know that there is a cap on the speed at which I can use my ram. It looks like its around 2900 MHz which is fine. I was able to get it to boot at 2733 and that is the highest I could go. The only reason I am trying to figure this out is because I believe the ram settings are causing an issue with my fans on the GPU. They keep starting and stopping kind of like a car revving its engine. Anyone have any thoughts?

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
Ram: Corsair vengeance pro DDR4 2x8 3000 MHz
GPU: gtx 1660
Motherboard: Rog Strix B450 F Gaming
PSU: Corsair 750x

With that CPU and board you should be able to run the RAM at 2933MHz no issues. Put them in slots A2-B2 if they are not.

As for your GPU fan. Install MSI Afterburner and change the fan curve. It could be that your on the threshold of the fan curve changes and it start going faster just to go down a second later because the fan curve is saying so.

Zarconian

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2013
With that CPU and board you should be able to run the RAM at 2933MHz no issues. Put them in slots A2-B2 if they are not.

As for your GPU fan. Install MSI Afterburner and change the fan curve. It could be that your on the threshold of the fan curve changes and it start going faster just to go down a second later because the fan curve is saying so.

The ram slots are currently correct, but it still wigs out if I try to go higher. I am currently testing EVGA precision x1 to toggle the fan curve. I didn't even think about that to be honest. Thanks!