Question regarding the 8700k

Smoshi

Honorable
Jan 25, 2014
So I just got a new CPU cooler today, Scythe Mugen 5 (rev. B). I wasn't looking to really overclock, I just wanted to enable turbo boost (up to 4.7ghz). So I disabled the MCE on my asus prime z370-a board and everything else is pretty much default. The voltages are set to auto which I've read the motherboard will usually set them higher than it needs to be which will generate more heat.

So far though I hit as high as 1.360 V but during my Far Cry 5 play through I'm averaging around 1.296 V or so.. temps around 60c and boosts only went as high as 4.3ghz (which is strange because outside the game just browsing the internet I'm at 4.5ghz)

So my question is this; If I leave the voltages on auto but my CPU isn't overheating will this be fine? Or will the higher voltages lower the lifespan of my CPU.

Picture of temps and voltages during far cry 5

https://i.imgur.com/rcQQRUh.png

Solution
Quite good temperatures really. 4.3Ghz is the default boost across all cores as I recall. It will only go up to 4.7Ghz on a single core.

If you want more performance MCE is a pretty quick and easy way to get it. That or manually setting the voltages and frequencies.

As for voltage, 1.36 is within reason. Unless you are planning on keeping this CPU for a very long time it should be fine. Any voltage will slowly break down the transistors, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't let it run 1.5 volts for hours at a time (or at all) I've seen people run that voltage to get benchmark records, but anything below 1.4 is okay for daily use.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Quite good temperatures really. 4.3Ghz is the default boost across all cores as I recall. It will only go up to 4.7Ghz on a single core.

If you want more performance MCE is a pretty quick and easy way to get it. That or manually setting the voltages and frequencies.

As for voltage, 1.36 is within reason. Unless you are planning on keeping this CPU for a very long time it should be fine. Any voltage will slowly break down the transistors, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't let it run 1.5 volts for hours at a time (or at all) I've seen people run that voltage to get benchmark records, but anything below 1.4 is okay for daily use.

Solution
if i remember it correctly based on the cpu load, Turbo boost table 4.7G for 1 c, 4.6G for 2 c, 4.5G for 3, 4.4G for 4-5 and 4.3G for 6 core.

far cry is some what cpu intensive and your cpu boosted to 4.3G on all core.

auto setting should be fine as you are not overclocking and both temp / voltage are within normal range, you could in theory reduce the voltage, but you might run into stability issues.