Question regarding water cooling solution (requires very detailed response)

cheru2016

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015
G'day guys,

I'm looking to switch over to a custom loop water cooling solution for my PC, but have absolutely no idea what to do or how to do it. I live in Australia where it gets in excess of 45 degrees Celsius during summertime and my GPUs and CPU just aren't handling it very well.

I'm currently running an i7 4790k with a h100i for the cpu, and two Gigabyte 980Ti Windforce cards in SLI that have about 1.5cms between the top and bottom card. The fans on the bottom card have completely shattered and fallen apart, most likely due to heat and exhaustion as they're running at 100% all of the time. As a result, I've had to remove the bottom card as it currently has absolutely no means of cooling itself whatsoever. The fans on the h100i are also EXTREMELY noisy when run at performance mode, which they need to be on 24/7 otherwise the cpu idles at 60 degrees and goes up to 100 under load. Remember, the ambient temperature in my room is often as high as 40 degrees Celsius.

The case that I'm using is a Coolermaster mid size case that you can see at this link here - https://www.mwave.com.au/product/cooler-master-cm690-iii-midtower-atx-case-with-window-ab55227

I've been looking at EKWB's website but I'm always put off at how daunting it is, and all the videos I find on YouTube cover the application of the block to the card, and stop there. I've got no idea what actually needs to be done inside of the case. I'm assuming I need some kind of custom loop that flows between the cpu and the two gpus and that I'll probably need to do away with the h100i? That's fine if so.

If somebody could please provide me with a very clear and concise response, telling me the most efficient and cost effective solution, I would be immensely grateful. Please let me know the products/parts I'd need to order and how I'd go about doing it.

I'm completely clueless about water cooling, but have put together actual computers on several occasions with no issues whatsoever. This is just very unfamiliar territory for me.

Thanks for your help :)

- Cheru

Solution
those "liquid cooled" cards are mostly crap when compared to true full cover block. same goes for AiOs like the corsair/nzxt and many others. :)
it would be much better to get a card with reference PCB (or any other with full cover block available) and put a block on it.
Full cover blocks are taking care of GPU, vRAM and VRM. the last one is acualy one of the hottest parts on the GPU and does not have a thermal sensor on it. Unfortunately, hybrid coolers usually take care with liquid only on GPU.
Another downside of hybrid cards is that they come with small radiator - usually 120mm which is made of aluminum.
At your temperatures , I wouldn't use anything less than 240 rad for CPU + 240-320 rad for GPU. The larger, the better. It...
well ... if you want to do it properly, you should start with new case since:
1. you can mount 240+240+120 rads in this case if you get creative, but to keep this system both cool and quite at your summer temps, i'd go with 2x480 rads at least.
2. You will need to be creative to fit into this case decent pump like D5. But since you have that many components, you'd be better with 2 loops (or at least two pumps working in the same loop) = 2 pumps.
so ideally you will need a large case with decent airflow (Dark Base 900 pro, 900D etc) + 2 pump/res combos + rads + CPU block + 2xGPU blocks + fittings/adapters/tubes etc and we are well over 1500 USD @ US prices.
It would be easier to sell your 2x980ti (500watt TDP before overclocking) and get a single 1080 or whatever they release next like 1180 or 1080ti or vega. with 200watt TDP. no need to change the CPU. with such setup, you will be able to have a single loop with 1 pump with and 480/600mm rad surface should be sufficient. So you can even keep the case, though I'd recommend something friendlier to water cooling and with better airflow like Fractal Design Define S
I have a 33-35C for about 9 months a year (up to 40C on some days). But, usually over 30C I just turn on AC.
Anyway, my overclocked build is relatively quiet (not annoying) under load and almost inaudible while idle. Even cramped into mini ITX case. But that would not be possible with 2x250watt cards.

So there is no simple answer to your question. It depends on what you want and what you need :)
In order to suggest a solution, more info would be helpful. Like do you mind to go single GPU setup. What is the total budget that you have in mind. What is the required computing power. Any other restrictions/wishes.

cheru2016

Reputable
Jul 12, 2015

Thanks for your reply mate :)

As a matter of fact, I was going to buy the Gigabyte G1 1080 Xtreme Waterforce yesterday, but the overwhelming opinion of the internet is that two 980Tis wipes the floor with a single 1080, and it would be a major downgrade and extremely superfluous to "upgrade" to a 1080 when you have two 980Tis. My next train of thought was to wait until the next model is released which is as you said, either going to be the 1080Ti (if they make it) or the 1090 or whatever they choose to call it.

A single card solution is DEFINITELY preferred, as I run a HTC Vive and play rather demanding VR titles such as Elite Dangerous. As you probably know, VR doesn't support SLI at this moment and the new range of Nvidia cards will support Gameworks in the future, so it's certainly in my best interest to upgrade when one of these cards hits the market (if and only if any of these cards provide a more powerful single card solution than my current SLI setup).

Would you then suggest that perhaps I just replace the busted fans on the Windforce and run it as I have been until the next range of cards comes out, then upgrade to one of those? I suppose it's likely the next card I buy will already have water cooling out of the box, so it may reduce the need for so many radical changes inside my case.

those "liquid cooled" cards are mostly crap when compared to true full cover block. same goes for AiOs like the corsair/nzxt and many others. :)
it would be much better to get a card with reference PCB (or any other with full cover block available) and put a block on it.
Full cover blocks are taking care of GPU, vRAM and VRM. the last one is acualy one of the hottest parts on the GPU and does not have a thermal sensor on it. Unfortunately, hybrid coolers usually take care with liquid only on GPU.
Another downside of hybrid cards is that they come with small radiator - usually 120mm which is made of aluminum.
At your temperatures , I wouldn't use anything less than 240 rad for CPU + 240-320 rad for GPU. The larger, the better. It allows fans to run slower -> less noise.
Since you are talking about custom loop, you can start building one for CPU, and then (after upgrade) just add the GPU to the loop.
So the plan would be:
Stage 1 - cooling the CPU:
Pump/Res - https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-xres-140-revo-d5-pwm-incl-pump there are also smaller/larger option.
CPU Block - https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?cPath=7_11_12_2694 pick one. I like the adjustable model with display, but that's 155 euro, they start at 65. Of course EK Supremacy EVO is a good tried option if you have no place to order the first one.
Rads: The one that will be sufficient for the CPU and will fit the case: http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/water-cooling/radiators/radiators-active/20473/alphacool-nexxxos-st30-full-copper-x-flow-240mm-radiator
or
http://hardwarelabs.com/nemesis/gtsxflow/240gts-xflow/
The first one is a bit slimmer and has ports on both sides (might be useful in advanced setups) I have them both. The XFlow makes draining and bleeding air much easier.
Fans: 2x Noctua NF-F12 IndustrialPPC http://noctua.at/en/products/product-line-industrial/nf-f12-industrialppc-2000-pwm
You will need a bunch of fittings and one ball valve (for draining) + tubing. Which one depends on the type you wish to use. Flexible tubing is good to start with.
Primochill and EK has excellent range of tubing.

Stage 2 - adding GPU:
GPU block - EK usually does decent job with most models covered. BitsPower do a great job too, they cost more, but include backplate (EK sell backplates separately).
Radiator - 360 would be ideal, but 240 will do the job if you want to keep the case. Same models as above (pick the size you need).
Fans - same as stage 1.
few more fittings according to the tubing type you chose.

P.S.
I don't like multi GPU for gaming due to higher input lag, stuttering/freezes. So for me, single 1080 wipes any number of 980ti :)
Since you are using single 980ti anyway (for VR) same is true for you :)

P.P.S
Just for reference, this was my stage one in going mini ITX (from CM 690 II :) ) with i7-4770K + GTX 1070 https://goo.gl/photos/iicnaejYsDxAStuT6
that's stage 2: https://goo.gl/photos/XEMJJpibejSKXYr26 (added another 120mm rad)
stage 3: replaced the top rad with alphacool 240.
Stage 4: will be switching to glass tubing in a couple of weeks when all required HW arrives.

Solution