[SOLVED] Questionable Amazon Seller Suspect Copy of Windows 10?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Newegg wants $140 for a full version Retail copy of windows 10 Home with the activation key. After looking on Amazon for a retail version, I find a Pro full version with key for only $125. Now here is where it gets interesting.
I emailed the seller to find out about his return policy and i also mentioned how one of the reviewers said that he had received a Key that microsoft said 'was used too many times'; huh?
So this seller misreads my inquiry and writes back saying "please use this key" and he has sent me a win 10 activation key! Huh? His second email was to say that he had misread my question.

What's up with these product activation keys? Where do they come from? Is it possible that i could make my own ISO and use that key the seller mistakenly sent?
Thanks y'all

Solution
Sorry about your luck. 95% of other people never have issues.

Where did you get the key? Did you ask for help? how much was the key?
I purchased a refurb laptop, came with Win 10 Pro installed.
At exactly 6 months (Feb - Aug 2019), it reported as Unactivated.

I asked the refurb Newegg seller for assistance.
They referred me to the manufacturer, Asus.
I pushed back - "You sold me this, make it right"
They again said "Contact the manufacturer"
I contacted Asus. They eventually gave me the license key for what was originally installed, WIn 10 Home.
As mentioned earlier, the laptop came to me with Win 10 Pro installed.
Of course, a Win 10 Home license will not activate a Win 10 Pro install.

Where did the Win 10 Pro license...

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I just buy OEM keys as I dont change hardware a lot and windows allows you to connect your microsoft account to your license which means anytime you re-install, u just have to log into your microsoft account to get your activation back instead of entering a code again.

I paid 12$ with a discount and have had no issues so far. but thats just me.
12bucks that's rich; hope i get lucky then and that seller's key i was accidentally given will work. guess i better go and see if i have myself a microsoft account or not :) thank you very much

I mean if u plan on having this same sytem for years, then why not just spend 12$ instead of 140? You get a 1 time activation code which u can link to your microsoft account.

Cut n dry tbh.

And yes the code works the same as a original code if u have it connected to your MS account.

HOWEVER if u do not connect your MS account with this licence then you will need the original code, or a new code to get auth on your new builds.

But if its like a 1 time buy typa thing like you just built a new rig n need windows, then make sure u save the email with the activation number. Or if u never plan on upgrading ur mobo in the future, itll work just fine.

Either way make sure u save the email with ur confirmation and actual number as I accidentally deleted mine n ran me into a few issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: ss_56

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
I mean if u plan on having this same sytem for years, then why not just spend 12$ instead of 140? You get a 1 time activation code which u can link to your microsoft account.

Cut n dry tbh.

And yes the code works the same as a original code if u have it connected to your MS account.

HOWEVER if u do not connect your MS account with this licence then you will need the original code, or a new code to get auth on your new builds.

But if its like a 1 time buy typa thing like you just built a new rig n need windows, then make sure u save the email with the activation number. Or if u never plan on upgrading ur mobo in the future, itll work just fine.

Either way make sure u save the email with ur confirmation and actual number as I accidentally deleted mine n ran me into a few issues.

First i wanna try and use my windows 7 activation number; If that doesn't work then i'll find a cheap key and then, like you say, link it to my MS account. Got it i think

Last edited:

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
You have to ask yourself...How can someone sell a $100 or $140 (retail) product for $10 or $20?
Where did it come from?

If this were 16GB DDR4 RAM for $20, would you be thinking it was valid?
Licensed software is no different.

It's just the key and MS wants $120 for that. i have the bootable usb. I may run it inactivated for a while.

USAFRet

Titan
"just the key"
Yes, that is what actually costs money, the license key.

The installer is freely available. $0, direct from MS.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Just leave it as Unactivated, rather than supporting scammers and criminals.

OEM Keys are legal and people like Linus Tech Tips use them all the time.

Keep in mind you dont get customer support if you decide to go the OEM key route.

USAFRet

Titan
grumblegrumble... purchase from Newegg,.. used too often... grumblegrumble. :mad:

-Wolf sends
It was from Newegg, albeit a 3rd party reseller/refurbisher.

Asus Transformer, purchased Feb 2019, from reseller Always.Deals
Came with Win 10 Pro. Worked perfectly.
Exactly 6 months later (late Aug 2019), the OS reports as "Unactivated".

The system originally came from Asus with Win 10 Home.
I received it with Win 10 Pro.

The reseller says "Contact the manufacturer"
'Dude...I bought it from YOU. Fix this.'
back and forth...I contacted Asus.
The gave me the license key for the original OS.
Which, of course (being from Win 10 Home), will not work to activate the Wn 10 Pro install.

Who installed the bogus/corporate WIn 10 Pro?
I neither know nor care.
They know, or should know, exactly what they did and sold it with.

All I know is that I have system with an Unactivated OS, and a check for $20 for "my troubles".

Yes, those are bogus licenses.
The utube people are paid to say nice things about them.

Whether MS shuts them down is a whole other question. Lots of international legalities involved, and like playing a game of whack-a-mole.

I mean technically, even if it did get deactivated. Its 14$, you could buy 9 of them for the same price as the official key.

And 9 times out of 10, nobody has an issue with oem keys. They are perfectly safe, and a great option for people on a budget.

Thats my opinion and Im sticking to it lol.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you gamble, it's on you. May work, may not, may work for a while and then stop.

But, really you shouldn't post here asking about the best way, or trustworthy vendors recommended for licenses that are likely not legal. If you want to do it, do it. If you don't, don't. Information has been given.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Should have just bought the OEM key for 14$ lol.
well, being inexperienced, i couldn't take the chance of something going wrong. in hindsight, i would have installed without entering the code and then begin with trying different keys.
I've been agonizing over using the blasted OS for days and i dispise it, for the most part. MS should be paying us to use the dang thing

Status
Not open for further replies.