[SOLVED] Questionable Amazon Seller Suspect Copy of Windows 10?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
Newegg wants $140 for a full version Retail copy of windows 10 Home with the activation key. After looking on Amazon for a retail version, I find a Pro full version with key for only $125. Now here is where it gets interesting.
I emailed the seller to find out about his return policy and i also mentioned how one of the reviewers said that he had received a Key that microsoft said 'was used too many times'; huh?
So this seller misreads my inquiry and writes back saying "please use this key" and he has sent me a win 10 activation key! Huh? His second email was to say that he had misread my question.

What's up with these product activation keys? Where do they come from? Is it possible that i could make my own ISO and use that key the seller mistakenly sent?
Thanks y'all

Solution
Sorry about your luck. 95% of other people never have issues.

Where did you get the key? Did you ask for help? how much was the key?
I purchased a refurb laptop, came with Win 10 Pro installed.
At exactly 6 months (Feb - Aug 2019), it reported as Unactivated.

I asked the refurb Newegg seller for assistance.
They referred me to the manufacturer, Asus.
I pushed back - "You sold me this, make it right"
They again said "Contact the manufacturer"
I contacted Asus. They eventually gave me the license key for what was originally installed, WIn 10 Home.
As mentioned earlier, the laptop came to me with Win 10 Pro installed.
Of course, a Win 10 Home license will not activate a Win 10 Pro install.

Where did the Win 10 Pro license...

ss_56

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2011
If you really felt that way, then you wouldn't actually want to use their OS, would you?
[/QU

had my copy of win 7 not been an oem then i'd have installed that onto the new MB. couldn't see buying a second copy of 7 and since 7 soon loses support, it made more sense to go ahead and start using 10. i did not know it would be such a headache. also, i did not want to learn linux. so i'm stuck hacking and modding 10 the best i know how.

USAFRet

Titan
had my copy of win 7 not been an oem then i'd have installed that onto the new MB. couldn't see buying a second copy of 7 and since 7 soon loses support, it made more sense to go ahead and start using 10. i did not know it would be such a headache. also, i did not want to learn linux. so i'm stuck hacking and modding 10 the best i know how.
You just have to be smarter than the PC.

There really isn't that much to "learn" between Win 7 and Win 10.

If you gamble, it's on you. May work, may not, may work for a while and then stop.

But, really you shouldn't post here asking about the best way, or trustworthy vendors recommended for licenses that are likely not legal. If you want to do it, do it. If you don't, don't. Information has been given.

The "gamble" isnt as bad as the people here make it out to be.

Theyre just sensitive about grey market products.

Websites like scdkey who I personally use for my keys on my personal builds are very credible and the keys are not "stolen". People here just want to lable every grey market key as stolen because thats just how it is here. No problem. I mean some of the BIGGEST computer building channels on youtube even use this website for their oem keys when they are doing budget builds for people and they never have issues.

Very rarely do you have an issue with OEM keys from reputable dealers. Even in the event of an issue they help you resolve the issues and if the issue cannot be resolved, they key was 14$ just buy another one and throw it in.

Im not really here to argue with anyone, and I could care less about any votes down. In fact it makes people look silly trying to downvote what Im saying like what Im saying is false lol. They just want other people to think its false. The facts are facts. Sure COULD something happen in 3 months after you buy a key? Sure. But the odds are so small that your most likely to never be affected by said issues. Then even in the event of an issue can be easily resolved when using the credible vendors WHO DO NOT SELL STOLEN KEYS!

People want to just lable them stolen. They dont actually have any idea if theyre stolen but websites like scdkey have already spoke out on this topic and they buy them in bulk. However it is what it is. Just my thoughts on it.

Reactions: ss_56

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry about your luck. 95% of other people never have issues.

Where did you get the key? Did you ask for help? how much was the key?

I contacted Asus. They eventually gave me the license key for what was originally installed, WIn 10 Home.

Where did the Win 10 Pro license come from? Don't know where they obtained it.
But a valid Windows license would NOT unactiivate itself exactly at 6 months unless it were a not valid license that came from ex-corporate Volume Licensing. They need to check in with their corporate license server at least once every 6 months.
Failing to check in...it unactivates itself.

The refurb company installed a cheap bogus license on this laptop, and sold it.
I do not know nor care where they got it from. All know is that I, the innocent user, was left without a fully working OS.

You can argue and justify all you want.
The bottom line is...you have to ask 'how can they sell a product that retails for $100, for $20?'
How?

Reactions: Jason H.
Solution

Where did the Win 10 Pro license come from? Don't know where they obtained it.
But a valid Windows license would NOT unactiivate itself exactly at 6 months unless it were a not valid license that came from ex-corporate Volume Licensing. They need to check in with their corporate license server at least once every 6 months.
Failing to check in...it unactivates itself.

The refurb company installed a cheap bogus license on this laptop, and sold it.
I do not know nor care where they got it from. All know is that I, the innocent user, was left without a fully working OS.

You can argue and justify all you want.
The bottom line is...you have to ask 'how can they sell a product that retails for $100, for $20?'
How?

Ah see thats the issue. You bought it from people with it installed. I would have wanted a refund immediately.

Im assuming they didnt say it wasnt a official key and sold it as a official key so you should have been able to refund the entire purchase for false advert.

I only buy keys from scdkey and I purchase them myself so if there is an issue they will help me solve it directly or supply me with another key with their buyer guarentee program. I also would never sell a PC to a customer with a oem key either. unless they wanted it that way but I would never advert a pc with a oem key.

And in this process, you should never have an issue. The process you did, sure I can see where the could be a bunch of conflicts.

USAFRet

Titan
Ah see thats the issue. You bought it from people with it installed. I would have wanted a refund immediately.

Im assuming they didnt say it wasnt a official key and sold it as a official key so you should have been able to refund the entire purchase for false advert.

I only buy keys from scdkey and I purchase them myself so if there is an issue they will help me solve it directly or supply me with another key with their buyer guarentee program.

And in this process, you should never have an issue. The process you did, sure I can see where the could be a bunch of conflicts.
Being a "refurb", the return window was 30 days.
Of course, a license that expires at 6 months is outside that return/refund window.

"Can we interest you in a $20 credit for your trouble?"
(literally)

"buyer guarantee program'?
If what was sold there was actually valid, that would not be needed.

As said...you can create all the self justification you want. I ain't buying it.

Reactions: Jason H.
Being a "refurb", the return window was 30 days.
Of course, a license that expires at 6 months is outside that return/refund window.

"Can we interest you in a $20 credit for your trouble?"
(literally)

"buyer guarantee program'?
If what was sold there was actually valid, that would not be needed.

As said...you can create all the self justification you want. I ain't buying it.

Thats fine, Ive had mine 6 months. No problems. And so do many many many, in fact, 95% of people who buy oem keys, dont have issues.

You had an issue because you bought a pc with the key. You didnt buy the key directly and have direct help if something went wrong. Thats not reliable sellers fault like scdkey. Scdkey has spoke out to people who share your views. Their keys are not stolen. They buy them well below wholesale price in bulk which makes them even cheaper. They dont make much off the resale but enough to stay afloat.

You should probably do a tad bit more research.

You keep asking me to think about some things, heres something to think about. If oem keys were so bad why do ALL the BIGGEST, most reliable PC building channels on YT recommend them from scdkey? Sponsor money? No. Its because they use hundreds of these keys per year in builds and never have issues.

Like I said, your issue was unfortunate and not a good representation on the main issue of oem keys being fine, if bought from a reliable source such as scdkey.

USAFRet

Titan
The big channels on utube promote those cheap licenses, because they get a kickback for promoting those.

"a tad bit more research. " ?
Seller on Newegg, company been in business apparently 25 years, etc, etc etc.
Whatever.

The big channels on utube promote those cheap licenses, because they get a kickback for promoting those.

"a tad bit more research. " ?
Seller on Newegg, company been in business apparently 25 years, etc, etc etc.
Whatever.

Lets agree to disagree.

I will let you know if an when I ever run into a oem key issue. Doubt I will.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS