Questioning my Intel i5-4690 performance and Cinebench R15 benchmarks

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I am questioning my 4690 performance. However I think I am probably worrying about nothing.

Basically I am finding this CPU to be overpowered by some games. It's not able to maintain 60 fps, when my GTX 980 is going strong on its own.

The game I am playing right now that the 4690 is struggling with, is Homefront: The Revolution. Often the CPU will max out on all four cores and cause a drop under 60fps. The result is stuttering even though fps might be 50 fps. (I think this stuttering is particular to this game.)

I found this CPU maxed out also in areas where lots of characters/NPCs were, in Assassin's Creed Syndicate. The Witcher 3 will sometimes drop under 60 fps due to CPU too, but not stutter significantly.

Anyway I am questioning its performance, even though I think it's probably right.

I googled for CPU benchmark tools. Using Maxon Cinebench R15 I got results for:
OpenGL = 59.52fps
CPU = 534/549. (Over two tests)

Anyway these results seem to fit with other CPUs listed in the Cinebench marks.

Yet when I google for results, my 4690 comes quite short in results. In this link, and guy posts an OpenGL mark of 115fps. https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/280943-so-i-built-a-new-pc-and-i-am-a-little-concerned-about-my-benchmark-scores-intel-i5-4690k-and-gtx-970/

Some other results seem to show Open GL results that double mine. This website (http://cbscores.com/) lists:
OpenGL = 104
Render (whatever that is) = 523 (similar to my CPU score at 534)

Baiscally though it appears that the time for the i5 and modern gaming is over for some games. CPU demanding games like The Witcher 3 simply max out this CPU. TW3 can max out the 4790 I read somewhere too. I think six core CPUs are needed really now.

surya13

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
I have an Intel i5-6600 (non-K) and i get 600 points in Cinebench.

I have a GTX 1060 and sometimes i get fps drops in some games. But in most cases it is due to GPU limitation. Sometimes I do get fps drops due to CPU bottleneck.

But I believe that the days of the quad cores are not over yet.

If you still think your performance is not upto the mark, try 3dmark benchmarks.

U6b36ef

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
My 4690 CPU mark is about what I expect I think, compared with other results. It's the OpenGL mark that I am questioning. please what do you score on that.

However I don't know what the OpenGL represents. It might be on-chip graphics. I have no idea.

surya13

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Stop worrying about benchmarks. As long as your gaming performance is close to that of what you find in reviews, you are okay.

40 fps without frame counter always feels better than 50 fps with frame counter.

Try 3dmark benchmarks and see your scores.