Questioning my PSU, computer crashes to black screen while in-game.

robinsood

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017
Is my PSU capable of running this:
PSU: Thermaltake TR2 GOLD 600W

Intel core i-7700 (Hydro H75 water cooling)
ASUS Prime Z270 - A
64GB of DDR4 RAM
AMD Radeon RX480 XFX 8GB
WD 1TB Hard Drive
Samsung SSD 960 EVO 500GB
Also dual monitor setup, if that's of any importance.

robinsood

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

Thermals as in thermal pastes? Do you suggest GPU cleaning?

I mean make sure that your CPU and even the GPU aren't over heating. For your CPU you can use a simple program like Realtemp or HWMonitor and for your GPU use MSI Afterburner (it also allows for overclocking, fan speeds etc, but you can just use it as a nice monitoring software) MSI Afterburner can also monitor CPU temperatures although I don't know how accurate it is, but if you are having thermal issues it would probably be more then fine.

robinsood

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

Right, so I finished cleaning my GPU, replaced thermal paste.
Crashes still apply.
I shall note that when I set the max temp at 70c crashes happen a lot less.
Does this mean a faulty GPU?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It means the gpu is hitting that 70° cap frequently enough. The question then becomes just how far over the cap is that temp actually going. There's 2 sections to any gpu. The gpu itself (graphics processing unit) and the vram/VRM's area. Of the 2, only the gpu has a temp sensor. So even though you are reading temps of just 70° on the card, that's only on the processor itself. Absolutely nothing to do with the vram/VRM's which could easily be clearing 90° and causing issues.

This, of course, is assuming that the main cause of video card crashing is running right. The drivers. Hardware crashes are almost always a blackscreen as the gpu shuts down/resets. Ctd (crash to desktop) is almost always driver related or software related.

So what kind of crash?

robinsood

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

It's a black screen crash, sometimes grey coloring is involved, I believe it's hardware.

robinsood

Prominent
Sep 21, 2017

No, that's my biggest issue. I really don't want to pick guesses as GPU's are really expensive.
When I take out the card there are no crashes but still, it's really not easy to tell.