Questions about 144 hz monitor and how it works with games/graphics cards - is this normal!?

coppernauto

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
I just bought a 1920x1080 144 hz montior for my new PC, which has a 1080Ti, i7 5850k, 32G RAM. My ultimate goal is to play graphic intensive games at 144 hz, and so far that hasn't been a problem, except how much heat is generated from it. I noticed when I tested Resident Evil 7 with max graphics and 144 hz, my GPU temp got to 76c and sounded like a leaf blower. This is the first time I've ever heard my graphics card like this, and the first time it's gotten this hot, and it's when I tried 144 hz. I have a very spacious case and great air flow too, which is confusing. My temps normally stay around 60c under high graphic loads with 60 hz, so this was kind of a shock. I'm guessing this is normal, and my graphics card is just getting pushed to the max. It's frustrating though if that's true, since I held back on 1440p to avoid stuff like this. So I guess my question is.. is this a normal situation?

yes, because 1440p is roughly doubled dpi compared to 1080p and 144 is 2.5 folds of 60hz. Modern GPU design is to only speed up fans after it reaches certain thermal threshold. As long as <80 under heavy load, you are fine.

nobspls

Reputable
Mar 14, 2018
76C is a bit on the warm side, but nothing out of the ordinary. You claim your case has good airflow, but I would argue it probably only got average air flow. That is why your GPU fan has to spin up a lot more, hence your leaf blower situation. A quick way to test to see if you reduce the fan speed of your GPU is to open up your case's side panel and if the fan speed goes down, that would be indication that the case air flow is actually not as good as you think it is.