[SOLVED] Questions about building a new pc and my data/OS on existing storage devices

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
I am going to install a new mobo, cpu and RAM. Upon installation of said hardware, will my mostly new PC recognize my OS (W10 OEM) and will all my data and storage devices be intact?

Solution
Thank you.

Would the proper way to do this be saving my Documents, then formatting my storage devices, followed then by hardware installation and a fresh OS install?
Your secondary storage devices are fine, depending on what is on them.
If it is just personal data, no need to reformat. They will be disconnected during the OS install anyway.

For the OS install with the new hardware, you have only the ONE drive physically connected.

USAFRet

Titan
Asked daily....

With a new motherboard, there are 3 possible outcomes:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
I've seen all 3. Likely outcome is #3, followed by #2.

And the greater disparity of the parts in question, the less likely it is to work.
A fresh OS install is always recommended, usually required.

USAFRet

Titan
Thank you.

Would the proper way to do this be saving my Documents, then formatting my storage devices, followed then by hardware installation and a fresh OS install?
Your secondary storage devices are fine, depending on what is on them.
If it is just personal data, no need to reformat. They will be disconnected during the OS install anyway.

For the OS install with the new hardware, you have only the ONE drive physically connected.

Reactions: rickypicky5
Solution