Questions about keyboard.

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017
Hello. Sorry to reiterate these questions, probably been asked millions of times.

How are you meant to pick a keyboard?
What's the difference between knockoffs(Kailh) and Cherry MX's?

Now I watched many videos on budget keyboards and how to pick them, but (atleast I) didn't see anyone actually helping that much, just a few very simple questions. What do you use it for/do you type alot/do you game alot etc.

Also are there benefits to keyboards with software other than lightning and macros?

Anyway a few keyboards i've noticed for under 100€ are HyperX Alloy FPS, Logitech g413,
Cooler Master Masterkeys, and some Razer and Corsair products.

I am currently using a Gigabyte Force K85(Kailh red), which had an unfortunate spill happen and most of the keys don't work properly/don't work at all.
The z key (had to google the letter), Arrow up/right/left(which I use very frequently) and etc.

Basically TL;DR What is the difference between knockoff and authentic Cherry switches, what's the difference between no software/software, how do I pick a keyboard(Let's say ehh max 125€). Also I do live in Estonia, so the reputable site here is (1a . ee).

Thank you very much.

Solution
I only offered that as one example, I wasn't remarking on the reliability of the product or the site selling it. The point is there are probably sites in your area selling such products, but I am not familiar with sites in your area and don't speak the language. It would probably be a lot easier to do the searching yourself on that, and maybe ask friends of yours if they know of good sites to buy such things.

Estonia is one of the least common countries we get such questions from. I live in the US, and when I Google for best places to buy PC Gaming parts from in Estonia, I get nothing related to Estonia at all, so I've pretty much reached the limit of what I can do given your location.

[Edited]
I did one more search and found aliexpress...
The knock off boards are usually not as good quality in switches or actual board materials. Reviews I've read on them indicate switches are more likely to fail. I like the Corsair stuff, and they have many sensible choices, including a K68 model that has a protective membrane over the switches to prevent spill damage. It also prevents dust accumulation, which can also lead to switch failure over time.

TYWyNUD.jpg

It uses Cherry MX Red switches and only has red backlight color. The switch color denotes what kind of feel they have.

Cherry MX Explained - https://www.pcgamer.com/best-mechanical-switches-for-gaming/

I don't know where you are in Europe, but Germany usually has the best PC part prices and Amazon.de in Germany has this keyboard for about 80 Euros. https://www.amazon.de/Corsair-Mechanische-Tastatur-Spritzwassergesch%C3%BCtzt-Beleuchtung/dp/B074KKTZ4J/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1542659135&sr=8-2&keywords=Corsair+K68

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Appreciate the help. Have you heard things about the fnatic keyboards? Rush Pro is for 59.99€ right now on a sale, cherry mx red/brown/blue but im not sure if fnatic is a reputable good brand. All I know are their eSports teams.

Rush Pro is an older model. The only review I've found is a site called vortez.net and the only thing they dinged it for in that 2 year ago review was price (which was 100 Euros at the time) and a dated function key.

I find what it comes down to mostly with keyboards is preferred layout, preferred key shapes, software ease of use and compatibility, and hardware reliability. On key shapes I prefer a wide vs vertical Enter key, and a wide Backspace key. The ones with vertical Enter keys and tiny Backspace keys, often found in Asia and Europe, really bug me.

Other than personal preferences, you're going to want to try to find critical reviews, like from Amazon customers for instance, that have feedback on any software issues (usually a matter of compatibility), and hardware reliability.

Amazon.com Critical Reviews
https://www.amazon.com/Fnatic-Backlit-Mechanical-Keyboard-Switches/product-reviews/B01DKZGQWW/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1&filterByStar=critical#reviews-filter-bar

Amazon.de Critical Reviews
https://www.amazon.de/Fnatic-Gaming-Tastatur-Mechanisch-Red-Tasten-Layout/product-reviews/B01CO6IHU2/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_viewpnt_rgt?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=critical&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=1#reviews-filter-bar

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Mmm okay. What are the best keyboards with Cherry MX Speed switches? Heard corsair is big on them, k95 platinum , some k70s etc. But the 200 price for k95 is a bit ehh interesting for me, dunno if it is worth it.

Again, I like Corsair, and the K68 seems perfect for you because it has fast red switches, and a protective membrane for spills and dust. Cherry Red has been very popular and sold a LOT to gamers.

However, since keyboard feel is very personal preference, and many buying mechanical for the first time don't have a reference point from experience, I recommend you buy from a vendor that has a 30 day return for any reason policy, like Amazon. They have that policy in the US anyway, might want to call them and ask in your area.

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Estonia doesn´t have any policy like that unfortunately. We kinda get ripped off mostly. No stores to try stuff out either. Really torn, I get that there are different switches for different aspects and so on. I type fast and use my buttons a lot and quite often spam. CS:GO, League of Legends etc. Speed has a really low actuation point which is good for gaming, not sure how good it is for typing, probably just have to get used to the typing. Reds feel nice for typing but imo I don´t like them that much for gaming.
Also the price point changed to 250 euros, got a nice easy temporary job.
I´ll do more research when Im home and get back to you. Thanks.

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Hey. So looking at the tester u sent me, and the brand that supplies it im not very inclined on buying it. https://www.newegg.com/Alexnld/about
Most of the reviews aren't exactly positive, and complaining that they either didn't get their product or it came broken (only free shipping perhaps)
Anyway, i would like a tester with MX Speed switches as well, only one i found was some cooler master 50 euro one, and shipping was 35,78€. If you could help me look for one of those that would be great. Red i don't really like(typing on a Red kailh right now anyway) so the K68 wouldn't be that nice for me, I don't find it that nice typing on it, unless there is a huge difference between the feeling of Kailh and cherry mx red i wouldn't go for that one, especialyl considering the return policy in Estonia. The switches that i'd be willing to try are as follows, MX Speed/Black/Brown/Silent, and i don't know much about razer switches and steelseries QX's and so on, but I am very intrigued in the Speed switches, I also make quite a few typos on Red when typing fast, I type better fast on membrane than red.

P.S sorry for the inconsistent grammar.

I only offered that as one example, I wasn't remarking on the reliability of the product or the site selling it. The point is there are probably sites in your area selling such products, but I am not familiar with sites in your area and don't speak the language. It would probably be a lot easier to do the searching yourself on that, and maybe ask friends of yours if they know of good sites to buy such things.

Estonia is one of the least common countries we get such questions from. I live in the US, and when I Google for best places to buy PC Gaming parts from in Estonia, I get nothing related to Estonia at all, so I've pretty much reached the limit of what I can do given your location.

[Edited]
I did one more search and found aliexpress ships to Estonia from China via free China Post and prices are very reasonable. They also have very good ratings. This may be your best option.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/9-Cherry-MX-Switches-Keyboard-Tester-Kit-Clear-Keycaps-Sampler-PCB-Mechanical-Keyboard-Translucent-Keycaps-Testing/32834771163.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.1.67052e5aGvGQyY&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_2_10065_10068_10130_10890_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_10924_453_10084_454_10083_10618_10920_10921_10922_10307_537_536_10059_10884_10887_10928_100031_321_322_10103,searchweb201603_51,ppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=94670fcd-1d28-4161-8638-5aa1311c0e57-0&algo_pvid=94670fcd-1d28-4161-8638-5aa1311c0e57

There are many vendors selling such kits on aliexpress. Just scroll through the "From Other Sellers" list at the bottom. Some kits even come with O Rings to adjust feel and sound. I could only see US prices when I accessed their site. It may show Estonia prices when you do due to your IP address being different.

Solution

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Hi again. Thanks for the info. I ordered the exact one u linked me(weren't many better choices), takes minimum 17 days to arrive. I'll pick the solution for now, if I happen to have more questions I'll reply to this topic.

Cheers.

Please report back on if the quality of the product is acceptable. I was thinking of ordering one myself.

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Will do. :)

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Hey. Sorry for replying a bit earlier. You heard of tne Razer Huntsman/Huntsman Elite? Opto mechanical switches or w/e. Heard they are pretty good but personally don't know. Also the order has been shipped now but tracking isn't available yet.
Cheers.

I don't really keep up on Razer's products, and have always considered them a boutique brand that's overpriced and lacks reliability, like Alienware.

As far as their "Optomechanical" switches, a pretty reputable review site says they're not really any better than plain mechanical. In fact the keyboard is actually louder too.

And keep in mind, while blocking a laser beam to actuate a key press may sound high tech, unlike pure mechanical designs, it requires that light to never fail to work, whereas a mechanical switch only relies on physical contact. Something to think about on reliability, which Razer doesn't focus on much.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/28/razer-huntsman-elite-hands-on/

LaGg3r34

Commendable
Jul 1, 2017

Hey. Went and grabbed the switch tester. It's nice, not broken or anything, now I just need to try them a bit more ^^
Definetly worth buying. Arrived in like 20d for me.

TRENDING THREADS