[SOLVED] Questions about moving current build to new motherboard.

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
Hello! Unfortunately, my new computer build has hit an issue I can't overcome without a hardware change: my current motherboard has noticeable coil whine, and I want to replace it entirely with a new motherboard (different model and all).

My question is: is there something special I need to be worried about when doing this "operation"? Provided I make sure all current components are compatible with the new board, it's as simple as unplugging from the old board and moving stuff to the new one right?

Also, I have questions about my Windows 10 installation. I currently have 2 SSDs I'm using for storage that I would like to erase completely before moving to the new board. I would like the drives to be as "clean" as if they were new, so I can avoid the system trying to boot into Windows on the new board. I have a Windows 10 USB drive, so I'm assuming I boot to that drive - run the installer and wipe the drivers during windows installation then quit the installer? Is there a better way to wipe drives so they are "clean" for the installation of the new board?

My last question revolves around the activation key for Windows 10 Pro. I already used the OEM key on my current, soon-to-be replaced, motherboard. As the new motherboard is a new model entirely, I'm assuming I have to get a new Windows 10 key for the new board? Can I install Windows 10 from the USB drive i currently own, skip the activation key step, install windows, and then buy the key later to activate the install? Or should I just buy a new key now? Any way to avoid having to buy a new $200 key to begin with?

My specs if needed:
OLD board: Asus Prime Z390-A
NEW board: ASRock Z390 Steel Legend
Windows 10 Pro
i7-9700
MSI GTX 1650 Super
Corsair RM750x
2 Samsung SSDs for storage

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Solution
To make the license transition easier, and if the current system still "works" to some extent...verify the license is linked to your MS account.

Then, the above link about "After a hardware change".
Or, just enter that license key during the install.

And I would recommend making a new USB to install with. It will be current with all existing updates, etc.
Your old license will work.

USAFRet

Titan
it's as simple as unplugging from the old board and moving stuff to the new one right?
You're planning on doing a full wipe and reinstall on the new hardware?
That IS doable, and 100% recommended.

2 considerations, Licensing and Operation.

Licensing
Where did the original Win 10 license come from? Assuming not a preinstalled Windows on somethomg from Dell or similar, the license can probably be transferred to new hardware.

For the OS activation, read and do this before you change any parts:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/windows-10-reactivating-after-hardware-change
https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/windows-build-1607-and-activation.2786960/

Operation, a full wipe and reinstall.
Prepare a Win 10 USB to install with.
Assemble the new system, with only the one desired drive connected.

Install...

Reconnect the other drives later, and then wipe them clean.

HWright001

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
You're planning on doing a full wipe and reinstall on the new hardware?
That IS doable, and 100% recommended.

Yes, a full wipe and then a fresh Windows 10 install. All current motherboard components are going into the new board.

Where did the original Win 10 license come from? Assuming not a preinstalled Windows on somethomg from Dell or similar, the license can probably be transferred to new hardware.

Operation, a full wipe and reinstall.
Prepare a Win 10 USB to install with.
Assemble the new system, with only the one desired drive connected.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075PZ12B2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is the exact USB drive with the WIndows 10 key I purchased from Amazon. The key was already used for the current problematic motherboard during installation.

USAFRet

Titan
To make the license transition easier, and if the current system still "works" to some extent...verify the license is linked to your MS account.

Then, the above link about "After a hardware change".
Or, just enter that license key during the install.

And I would recommend making a new USB to install with. It will be current with all existing updates, etc.
Your old license will work.

Solution