Questions about reversion

abe65

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
I apologize in advance if these seem like stupid questions.

I upgraded to Windows 10 on July 29. If its relevant, I had an OEM version of Windows 7.

I have now decided to revert back to Windows 7 for the time being. I will almost certainly choose to return to Windows 10 at a later date.

1)
When that happens, will the upgrade tool I used on 7/29 to get Windows 10 still be available?
I understand that there is a 30 day deadline to revert back to your old OS after getting Windows 10.
2) If, after getting Windows 10, I decide to revert back to my old OS within 30 days, does that start a new 30 day timer for undoing the revert, or is the opportunity to "re-upgrade" to Windows 10 now permanent?
3) If I do "re-upgrade" to Windows 10 after a revert, does that start a new 30 day timer to "re-revert," or is there only one opportunity to revert? In other words, is it, in theory possible to go back and forth multiple times?
4a) If I saved windows.old on an external hard drive, would it allow me to revert back to Windows 7 after the 30 day deadline has passed?
4b) If such a thing is possible, are there any other folders I would need to backup externally?
4c) If it is possible to get around the 30 day reversion deadline by using an external hard drive, how would I go about reverting if I chose to do so? Would simply dragging the backups back to the C-drive allow me to use the standard reversion process?

Solution
When you upgraded to win 10 you got a digital entitlement to always install win 10 on that device. So as far as I know, if you ever put win 10 on that PC ever again, it will activate it. The only time it may not auto activate is if you swap motherboard but if you link your activation to an email address, the reactivation may only take you filling out a form on your PC.

I don't know what happens to licence if you switch back/forth between Win 7/10. that is a question for Microsoft.

Win 10 isn't that bad, I hardly felt any difference when I swapped from 7 last year, only looking in start made it obvious it wasn't Win 7.

USAFRet

Titan

OK, then...do that.
Go with Win 7.

All this speculation about back and forth is pointless if you just prefer Win 7.

Colif

Win 11 Master
When you upgraded to win 10 you got a digital entitlement to always install win 10 on that device. So as far as I know, if you ever put win 10 on that PC ever again, it will activate it. The only time it may not auto activate is if you swap motherboard but if you link your activation to an email address, the reactivation may only take you filling out a form on your PC.

I don't know what happens to licence if you switch back/forth between Win 7/10. that is a question for Microsoft.

Win 10 isn't that bad, I hardly felt any difference when I swapped from 7 last year, only looking in start made it obvious it wasn't Win 7.

Solution