Questions about SSD upgrade

Kyogre504

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hey internet,
Basically, I would like to upgrade my boot drive from a HDD to a SSD. I would like to ask if i can use the HDD as a storage drive, but still keep the windows os on it without interference with the SSD as boot? Additionally, do I have to redownload and install all the windows updates and drivers again, or do they carry over from the HDD windows? Thanks in advance and sorry for nooby question thats probably been already answered.

*Windows referes to Windows 7 FYI :D

You can use a SSD as your boot/OS drive and there would be no reason to keep a Windows install on your hdd. All you have to do is clone you Operating System from the hdd to the SSD. Just go to this site and use the free software to clone your OS and you can get rid of the Windows install on your hdd. It works and I have used it.

http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/

While inzone is correct, I'd just like to point out that the usually-recommended process is to do a completely new build on the SSD. I am not sure if there are any issues that EASEUS does not take care of for you; it's a pretty good tool.

Note that you will want to fiddle around with file locations to change the default locations on the C drive (now your SSD) to the D drive (where your files stayed). There should be enough info in the stickied articles at the head of this forum.

I prefer the new install method myself but sometimes people either don't have the Windowes install disc or they want to use all of their files and settings so a clone is a good option. The best way is a fresh install which makes your computer like new again. That's why it's a good idea to have a SSD as your boot drive and everything else on the second drive , that way all you have to do is redo the OS drive.

Kyogre504

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
I have a 2TB drive with ~300GB worth of files, so if deleting windows from it isn't an option, if I just clean install it on the 60GB SSD, will there be interference? And will the drivers and updates be download again on the SSD? Lastly, will I have to format my drives so everything gets saved to the HDD? Sorry for the mass of questions :/

No interferance.
.. In reality it might be a smart move to keep the OS you have on the HDD, at least for a while.

My vote is for a Clean install to an SSD. Although WyomingKnott's recomended cloning program does work, I still always perform a clean install.

Just disconnect the HDD and install to the SSD. once done reconnect the HDD. You will be able to daul boot to the SSD or the HDD with ease. Set the SSD as your primary HDD. Want to boot to HDD, just hit the Key stroke that brings up the Boot menu, On my Gigabyte board it's F12 and on my Asrock MB's it is F11. This Does NOT change the Boot priority set in bios, if you booted to the HDD and do a restart the system will boot to the SSD unless you again select the Boot menu during post.

This works VERY well and neither OSs will interfer with the other. Which ever one you boot to becomes your "C" drive. I have used this methode with different Operating systems installed and have Never had a problem.

After a month, or when ever you decide to ditch the operating system on the HDD - do so.

Kyogre504

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Ok, so when the SSD is the "C" drive, will I have to reinstall everything like drivers again? Additionally, later on, how can I ditch the OS on the HDD? Any way without losing the files on the HDD?

For the SSD - With a clean install, yes you will have to install all drivers and software.
NOTE: you can do a copy of your Internet Favorites to the SSD

Removal of OS from old HDD. When you decide you no longer need the "Old" os on the HDD, Removal depends on how you had it set up.

1) If you had partitioned your HDD for C = OS +programs and D:= all your data files it is straight forward. Just copy any of the Data you have (created) on C drive over to D drive (make a new folder (directory) maybe call it "From Old C drive". The Just reformant the C drive.

2) if you have everything on the HDD in one partition, then you will need to back up everything (your created data/files) to another drive/DVDs. then reformat, then put Your data back onto the HDD.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

I think you shoukd keep the HDD in case something wrong happen to your SSD, then you can just change the boot priority in the BIOS for the HDD. How much more space is left in your HDD? If there is a lot more space, then you can make folders to store your data on it.

Kyogre504

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Thank guys, I pretty much have an idea of what I want to do. Clean install OS on SSD and keep HDD as it is for a while, then ditch the OS on the HDD later on, or not at all. Another question is that once I have the OS on the SSD, how do I format or set up so everything gets saved on the HDD rather than the SSD from now on?

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Okay, when storing or downloading files or data, you should always choose the HDD for the folder you've downloaded so that the SSD will still have space for the system files.

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011

Yes! absolutely, everytime you install and download a data of software, always put it on the HDD, usually a window will prompt you where to install the software and you should always choose the HDD.