questions about the corsair commander pro.

sexchange

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017
I have a few questions about the Corsair Commander pro:

Does the commander pro control the RGB or the overall fan speed and other fan controls through the 6 fan connectors on the commander pro?

How do I connect the Commander pro to my motherboard? How many connections are needed? Where do I plug the USB's in?

If I have a corsair AIO water cooler for my CPU, do I need to plug in the USB cable (that comes with the AIO) to the motherboard, or do I connect the USB cable from the AIO directly to one of the USB headers on the commander pro? Would I have to use the 1 to 3 fan splitter that comes with the AIO, or would I just connect the USB from the AIO to the commander pro, and that would take care of the fan speeds?

Will I need a corsair lighting node pro and an RGB fan controller (6 headers) to use the RGB lights on the fans, or will the commander pro control those along with the fan speeds and everything else?

If I run out of USB 2.0 headers on my motherboard, what do I do?

Thanks for your help, other questions might pop into my head.

Solution

The Commander Pro (CoPro) will control Corsair RGB products (it has the same functionality as the Corsair Lighting Node Pro) as well as fan speeds. It has 6 standard 4-pin fan connections and can support either DC or PWM fans. Additionally, it has 2 internal USB headers and 4 thermistors.

It's connected to a single USB 2.0 internal header. It uses both ports on the header.

devbiker

Commendable
Dec 9, 2017

The Commander Pro (CoPro) will control Corsair RGB products (it has the same functionality as the Corsair Lighting Node Pro) as well as fan speeds. It has 6 standard 4-pin fan connections and can support either DC or PWM fans. Additionally, it has 2 internal USB headers and 4 thermistors.

It's connected to a single USB 2.0 internal header. It uses both ports on the header.

You can connect the AIO cooler to either of the CoPro's USB headers. Or you can connect it to an open header on the motherboard. Doesn't matter; up to you. Note, however, that there are some issues with using the USB hub on the CoPro with some Ryzen boards due to a compatibility issue with the AsMedia USB 2.0 controller.

I assume you are referring to the H150i PRO? That's not a splitter but a single cable with 3 full headers. And yes, you should connect your fans to those headers. When connecting the fans to the headers, they can be controlled completely from the AIO pump based on the temperature of the coolant ... without requiring Link to be running. Using Corsair Link, you can also write custom fan curves to the pump as your default settings. While you can connect these fans to the CoPro, the CoPro will require Link to be running to control the fans based on the pump temperature.

You will need to have an RGB Fan Controller. This will connect to one of the RGB headers on the CoPro. Assuming that you are talking about any of the Corsair RGB fans, they will have two connections - 1 for the fan speed and 1 for the RGB. The RGB connection will be connected to the Fan Hub and then the Fan Hub connected to the CoPro. The Fan Hub is a dumb device; it is there to send the RGB signal to the fans and, more importantly, to provide power.

You can use the NZXT internal USB hub; it works quite well. One note: there have been reports of challenges with this hub when connected to the AsMedia ports on at least some Ryzen motherboards. However, I cannot confirm with certainty that this is an issue; Corsair has verified the issue with the CoPro's hub and the AsMedia controller.

Solution

sexchange

Prominent
Dec 4, 2017

Thank you so much, this is all I needed to know!