[SOLVED] Questions and concerns about an unknown (Realtek?) USB adapter

bagu_no_kiseki

Prominent
May 17, 2020
For a long time now, I have had problems with my current USB adapter, a Netgear WNA1100 N150. These weren't critical issues (random disconnects, especially when uploading), so I never worried about it too much, but more recently I have had problems with my computer crashing as described in this thread (I also posted my computer's specs there). These crashes might be connected to my current USB adapter and reinstalling the driver didn't resolve the issue, so I'm thinking of installing a different adapter to see if that helps.

The problem is, I'm leery of the replacement I have. It was ordered from Amazon (I believe it's the one on this page), and when I got it, I saw that the instructions were very poorly translated, I had to get the driver by typing in a Google Drive link, and I couldn't find a company name or website anywhere. I want to try using a new adapter in case it helps with any of my problems, but I'm reluctant to install this when everything about it seems so unprofessional. Looking at the negative reviews on the Amazon page, it seems the worst reported issues are that it doesn't work, but I wanted to ask for opinions and advice before I go ahead with anything. It's difficult for me to get new hardware at the moment, so for now, this is my best alternative to my current adapter.

The driver folder I got is named RTL_Driver_V1.5, and inside it is another folder named RTL_Driver_V1.3, which is odd. It has a PDF user manual, but that doesn't have any identifying information that I see.

Does anyone know what brand or model this is? Is it safe to install? If so, where can I find the latest drivers?

I haven't had any luck finding answers to these questions on my own, so any help would be appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So many of them look the same, or should I say, so many are the same with different names.
I saw that link, I saw the actual device is meant to come with a installer CD... the number of people with a DVD drive is shrinking too.

One of the images in the Amazon page shows its chipset is RTL8812BU
latest Realtek drivers - https://www.realtek.com/en/component/zoo/category/rtl8812bu-software

Solution

bagu_no_kiseki

Prominent
May 17, 2020
Thank you for the information.

The driver from that site does seem to be a newer version of the one provided with my adapter, so I downloaded and installed it. I almost got it working, but when I connected to the router, it said I didn't have internet access. I ran the Windows troubleshooter and got a "wi-fi doesn't have a valid ip configuration" message.

Looks like I'll have to troubleshoot that before I can test this card properly. I'm not familiar with this problem, but I found some information online (though again, any help would be appreciated, as I've never dealt with this before).

bagu_no_kiseki

Prominent
May 17, 2020
I got it working. For some reason ipconfig /release didn't work, saying "An address has not yet been associated with the network endpoint" (maybe it didn't have an IP address to begin with?), but ipconfig /renew did, though it took a while. Everything seems well at the moment.

Thank you for all the help. Now I just need to keep my fingers crossed and hope this solves my other problems.