[SOLVED] Questions concerning Samsung HW-A47M 4.1 Channel Soundbar

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I recently purchased the Samsung HW-A47M 4.1 channel soundbar to replace my previous soundbar system and connected it to my LG 4KTV. So far the sound quality is good, but I have a few questions about some of the sound bar's settings. I could not get reliable information or answers from Samsung's support service, so that is why I am asking my questions here.

My questions are as followed:

1. The soundbar has two sound modes: Surround Sound and Standard. I noticed when I put the soundbar in Surround Sound mode, when I adjust the Treble or Bass level under Settings, it automatically goes to Standard mode. When I adjust the other audio settings in Surround Sound mode, it stays in Surround Sound mode. I can adjust the subwoofer level, which is a separate setting, in either Surround Sound mode or Standard mode and the soundbar stays in the current sound mode setting. Is the soundbar supposed to automatically switch from Surround Sound mode to Standard mode whenever I adjust the Treble or Bass in Surround Mode?

2. The full instruction manual states that the Standard sound mode outputs the original sound. Obviously in this mode, if I have an audio source, such as YouTube, that is either 2.0 or 2.1, I will get sound from the two speakers on the soundbar and the subwoofer. The only way to get surround sound from 2.0 or 2.1 audio, would be setting the soundbar to Surround Sound mode. If I leave the soundbar in Standard mode, and the audio source is formatted to 4.1, 5.1 or 7.1, such as a DVD, Blu Ray, or 4K Blu Ray disc, will I get audio from both the soundbar and rear wireless speakers, or would I have to still switch to Surround Sound mode?

3. My previous soundbar was an LG soundbar. As previously stated, my TV is an LG 4KTV. The TV and soundbar were connected to each other by a digital optical cable. The soundbar would automatically turn on and off when I turned the TV on and off. With my new Samsung soundbar, which is also connected to the TV by digital optical cable, it automatically turns on when the TV is turned on, but it does not turn off automatically when I turn off the TV. I have to either manually shut down the soundbar or I have to wait almost 20 minutes, as stated in the manual, for it to shutdown automatically if it does not receive an audio signal. Is the only way for the soundbar to automatically shut off when the TV is turned off is when it is connected to a Samsung TV from a certain year model or newer, or is the only way to shut it down immediately is to manually shut it down with the power button or remote control?

Again, the sound quality is good, but I wish it had a few more audio options such as Game and Music mode and allowed me to adjust the Bass and Treble in Surround Sound mode and could automatically turn off when I turn my LG TV off.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Solution
  1. Seems like a bug in the software, adjusting audio options should not swap the mode it's in. Unless you happen to run across someone with the exact same soundbar as you and it acts differently.
  2. Try it and see, but most likely it will play the rear channel data since it's set to play it in the audio stream. It's actually encoded to say "this sound goes to rear speakers".
  3. Sounds like it's LG TV working with an LG sound bar to send the shut off signal or simply the LG soundbar just turned soon as it lost a signal and the Samsung does not. All the info should be in the manual or online for it, usually there are no hidden tricks to things, if it's in the manual as how it works, that is how it works.
  1. Seems like a bug in the software, adjusting audio options should not swap the mode it's in. Unless you happen to run across someone with the exact same soundbar as you and it acts differently.
  2. Try it and see, but most likely it will play the rear channel data since it's set to play it in the audio stream. It's actually encoded to say "this sound goes to rear speakers".
  3. Sounds like it's LG TV working with an LG sound bar to send the shut off signal or simply the LG soundbar just turned soon as it lost a signal and the Samsung does not. All the info should be in the manual or online for it, usually there are no hidden tricks to things, if it's in the manual as how it works, that is how it works.

Solution