Questions & Concerns regarding windows 10 upgrade

Amatex

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013
Hey guys,

I have some questions regarding the Windows 10 upgrade , for example,
If I want to upgrade can I do a clean install when I reserve my copy? like after reserving my copy can I download the ISO file which I can burn to a disk?
Or does it auto install when you reserve a copy?

Or do I have to use the "Upgrade" feature from the get windows 10 app in my task-bar and install over my windows 7 install instead of doing a clean install.?
Also can I still use my windows 7 key if I want to go back and install windows 7 if I don't like 10?
I want to try it but I on the other hand I don't want to risk it since I'm quite happy with windows 7 plus its a gaming PC I don't want to reinstall everything.

Thank you Amatex.

Solution
You can do either a clean install or an Upgrade of your existing OS.
It does not have to be from the 'Get Windows 10' notification.

Download the MediaCreation tool from MS.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Run it, and it will give you the option of Upgrade now, or creating your own ISO file for DVD or USB creation.

With a clean install, you can use your existing Windows 7 license key to activate it.
Being a clean install, of course this means reinstalling everything.

For the Upgrade, everything will be just like it is now, except with a new OS.
You have 30 days to roll back to your existing Win 7. After that, this option goes away.

For this free Upgrade, you must have it installed and activated before...
First install must be from an upgrade, after you finished upgrading and be sure that you conected to internet to activat windows 10 (it will activate automatically) then you can install a fresh windows with iso only (usb or dvd) any time you want, but you need to upgrade just one time so your pc could be linked to a windows 10 license.

Amatex

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2013

Ok thank you your reply, one thing though does that first upgrade deactivate my windows 7 key on my tower for example if I were to upgrade windows 7 to 8 I remember people saying since its a "upgrade" you will no longer be allowed to use your windows 7 key anymore, Im guessing this would be no different?. and if I upgrade do I need to reinstall everything like a clean install or do I just install and off I go?

USAFRet

Titan
You can do either a clean install or an Upgrade of your existing OS.
It does not have to be from the 'Get Windows 10' notification.

Download the MediaCreation tool from MS.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10/

Run it, and it will give you the option of Upgrade now, or creating your own ISO file for DVD or USB creation.

With a clean install, you can use your existing Windows 7 license key to activate it.
Being a clean install, of course this means reinstalling everything.

For the Upgrade, everything will be just like it is now, except with a new OS.
You have 30 days to roll back to your existing Win 7. After that, this option goes away.

For this free Upgrade, you must have it installed and activated before July 29.

Solution