[SOLVED] Questions regarding GPU>CPU bottlenecks in Blender (Optix) and Gaming

blackwolf9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2013
Hi,

So I currently have a GTX 1060 6GB and an i5-4670K OC @4GHz (16GB DDR3), I planning on upgrading to one of the RTX cards (2070 maybe) so I can make use of Nvidia's Optix renderer but I'm worried about my CPU bottlenecking it and whether its worth it to upgrade. I know that whenever I do an intensive task my CPU is always at 100% but I assume even with the CPU bottleneck Optix will increase render times over CUDA - am I correct?

Also as a side note would my frames increase in games despite the CPU bottleneck?

The long term plan is to upgrade my CPU several months later as this will require new MB+RAM also.

Solution
If it were me, I would reverse the path you currently have in mind for upgrading.

Purchase the motherboard, RAM, and new CPU now, and then buy a new GPU later.

Here is why:

1.) If your CPU is bottlenecking now, it will bottleneck much worse with an even more powerful GPU and you will not see an improvement in your gameplay experience because your CPU can't render new frames fast enough to feed the GPU. This will introduce stuttering and possibly make gameplay a bit worse in fact.

2.) New GPUs are coming from in Nvidia in about a month or so; you are better off waiting for the new stuff because there will likely be in improvement in the performance per dollar ratio.
If it were me, I would reverse the path you currently have in mind for upgrading.

Purchase the motherboard, RAM, and new CPU now, and then buy a new GPU later.

Here is why:

1.) If your CPU is bottlenecking now, it will bottleneck much worse with an even more powerful GPU and you will not see an improvement in your gameplay experience because your CPU can't render new frames fast enough to feed the GPU. This will introduce stuttering and possibly make gameplay a bit worse in fact.

2.) New GPUs are coming from in Nvidia in about a month or so; you are better off waiting for the new stuff because there will likely be in improvement in the performance per dollar ratio.

Solution