Question Questions regarding using my old PC parts to build my friend a rig.

spinnnerrr91

Reputable
Oct 23, 2018
Hello all.

So I'm planning to build my good friend a PC using my old components that were left over after I upgraded my own PC.
My old components consist of:

Mobo - ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
CPU - 4790k
GPU - GTX 980
RAM - 16 GB DDR3 2400
Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

As for cooling the CPU, I have my old H100i. Tubing looks fine and the fans still work, so I don't think using it will be an issue.

I'm planning to buy a PSU, OS and a case for it all. Already did the measurements for the case I have in mind.

I just want to clarify that I can use the mobo with a new retail version of Windows 10. I'm assuming that I'll have to reset CMOS? Anything else I will have to do?

Thank you :)

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMO, if you have anything on hand air cooling would be less likely to give issue than an old AIO. Tremendous gift to give to someone, either way. That should be a quite capable system for everyday driving, work, and casual mid settings gaming at 1080.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hello all.

So I'm planning to build my good friend a PC using my old components that were left over after I upgraded my own PC.
My old components consist of:

Mobo - ASRock Z97 Extreme 6
CPU - 4790k
GPU - GTX 980
RAM - 16 GB DDR3 2400
Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB

As for cooling the CPU, I have my old H100i. Tubing looks fine and the fans still work, so I don't think using it will be an issue.

I'm planning to buy a PSU, OS and a case for it all. Already did the measurements for the case I have in mind.

I just want to clarify that I can use the mobo with a new retail version of Windows 10. I'm assuming that I'll have to reset CMOS? Anything else I will have to do?

Thank you :)
You can run windows unregistered for free.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You can run windows unregistered for free.

In my own experience with gifting motherboard/CPU combo, I like to install a new (different) key on it before sending on its way. Particularly in cases where I have upgraded and kept my digital license by way of user account with MS. I have personally run into a conflict with Hardware ID based licensure causing the transfer account to "de-activate".

spinnnerrr91

Reputable
Oct 23, 2018
Yes, that combination will absolutely work with Win 10.
I had something very similar up until a year ago, Win 10 Pro. My main system. Parts list in my sig, under BigBrother.

I just upgraded about a year ago as well. I upgraded to a 10900K :) I honestly wish I waited a bit for GPU prices to have dropped, but I was impatient :p Sucks seeing the new 4090's priced at $1,200 and having bought a 3070 Ti for that same price.

IMO, if you have anything on hand air cooling would be less likely to give issue than an old AIO. Tremendous gift to give to someone, either way. That should be a quite capable system for everyday driving, work, and casual mid settings gaming at 1080.

Makes sense. Unfortunately I do not have any spare air cooling. I'll look into a new inexpensive AIO system, as USAFRet stated.

Thank you guys for the help and feedback! Much appreciated.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
In my own experience with gifting motherboard/CPU combo, I like to install a new (different) key on it before sending on its way. Particularly in cases where I have upgraded and kept my digital license by way of user account with MS. I have personally run into a conflict with Hardware ID based licensure causing the transfer account to "de-activate".
And that has what to do with not buying windows and running it unregistered?

USAFRet

Titan
Did not know that. I'll have to do some research on that. Doing so would save me a decent amount of money.
Unactivated Win 10 will run no problem.

Restrictions are:
No customization of the Taskbar or desktop.
An often appearing nag text at bottom right, that is on top of everything else.

The question then becomes...do you want to support the software you use?

Reactions: spinnnerrr91