Quick check before I order

M_Farkha

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
Ok so after looking through toms hardware guides and getting some psu tips from fellows on this board on the past two days, I felt I have learnt alot and I have finally decided on my build...However, because I haven't been following the computer scene for a while now (my t42 laptop has been my gaming rig for ~3 yrs now lol!) I am quite nervous before I finally order everything.

This system is meant to be a gaming rig (to be fairly overclocked) with a budget of $1500...below are my components

ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX $180
GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB + Free Crysis :) $360
Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme CPU Cooler $70
CORSAIR Dominator 2GB DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 $114
Intel Q6600 Retail - G0 $300
Samsung HD501LJ 500GB 7200 RPM $104
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid $120
SATA 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe $31
Silencer 610 EPS12V EPS12V 610W Continuous $118

Grand total of $1,400 woot :)

Now, any reccomendations? fixes?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
everyone looks great, but drop the dominators, if they are a rev 2.1 model they are cheaper infineon chips and not worth it at all. The older revisions have micron D9GMH's (amazing oc'ers), but the new ones are pretty bad.

Do you plan to OC?...if so it would matter, but if you don't plan to OC, it will do fine.

Also, 32bit or 64 bit os?..

If 64 bit, you can nab these..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231122

This will be even better if you use vista 64bit. They use Micron D9HNL Ic's, not as good as d9gmh's, but the GMH's can't fit on a 2gb modules, if you still want a 2x1 module set, grab these.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146565

If you are dead set on 1066 memory,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148069

Just so you know, there isn't much real world performance between 1066 and 800 modules, 1066 modules are mostly picked too overclock farther as they had more headroom. If you're going 64bit, grab those g-skill modules, if you go 32 bit, any of these crucial modules will do. These crucial modules at least get you Micron D9GMH, GKX, or GCT ic's. As long as they are guaranteed micron d9's though, it makes them a better choice. Most people get GMH, with GKX being second, both wonderful chips.

Once again, this is only important if you're overclocking, if those corsairs are 2.1 rev models, they aren't worth the money.

BTW, why a SLI board? do you plan to go dual cards in the future?..if not a Gigabyte p35-DS3R would be a better choice, nvidia intel chipsets are really not that great, they have a lot of issues. you could also go with a Asus p5k if you wished. If you don't need raid, a gigaybte p35-DS3L is a great budget board, identical to the p35-ds3r with just raid pretty much removed.

M_Farkha

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
I do plan on OC'ing along with a 32 bit xp pro system. If I opt for the p35-DS3L, the crucial ballistic 1066 memory you proposed isn't listed as supported by gigabyte. Any other recc?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
do not worry about the QVL from the manufacturers, they only list a small portion of memory. I wouldn't recommend those sticks without reason, there are HUNDREDS of people on this board with that same setup in mobo/cpu/ram. Never trust the QVL's, if you ever have doubts, run a google check with the memory model # and the mobo to check for compatibility. I don't know why the motherboard manufacturers even make those lists, pretty much any ram will work.

Honestly though, you don't really need those 1066 sticks, ddr2-800 will do. Even if you OC using a 9x400 scenario, your ram would be running in 1:1, that would be 1.2 ghz oc to 3.6 ghz...

1066 modules are meant for overclocking, you might not believe it, but for a 1066 fsb processor, even ddr2-533 would be a 1:1 ratio. the ddr2-1066 modules are only needed if you plan to go with a low multiplier, and trying to oc with a low multi as far as possible. Even so, those ddr2-800 modules have a great recommendation, you can even oc them to 1066 in most cases without breaking a sweat...

If you want to go the 1066 route, that's fine, but don't worry about the qvl.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
Honestly, Id still pick up that silencer, It's a tier 1 powersupply, you really can't go wrong. ^_^, there are other solutions, but PC Power and cooling is the most well recommend psu there is, no point in changing if it's just gonna save you around 15 bucks =P.

M_Farkha

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
also, second thoughts now lol if I choose p5k I would have to go for a radeon correct? For the crossfire setup (in the future maybe)...any p5k reccs?

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
eh?..Any motherboard you buy, will work with ANY video card. As long as you buy pci-e for pci-e that is =P.

But, the limiations are for crossfire and SLI....Crossfire will work on p35/x38 and amd chipsets, while SLI will only work nvidia chipsets.

If you want crossfire, nab a x38 board and not a p35, you'll want two FULL bandwidth x16 pci-e slots, when you go to p35, they are all 16x/4x/or 8x/8x (even though they state two pci-e 16x, with both full, they are limited).

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Kamrooz, will you teach me the ways of the force? You really know your stuff. Impressive! :)

So correct me if I am wrong, so I will learn something.

From reading these forums the past month, my understanding was that for OCing, the Gigabyte p35-DS3R was preferred over the Gigabyte p35-DS3L. The R version, which is part of the 'ultra durable' line, is made of better components (solid japanese capacitors), that can stand up to higher temperatures. The L is for when the budget is really tight and the OCing is minimal.

Kamrooz

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2007
The L version actually has solid capacitors as well..

Let me get you a link, one sec.

http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2583

Asus and gigabyte have incorporated all their boards with solid capacitors pretty much. From the time they transitioned to it that is, since then, from what I've seen, all solid capacitors. The P35-DS3L is a budget based board of the p35-ds3r, eliminating some sata connections and other features (such as raid). The boards are nearly identical in terms of PCB. Although the p35-ds3r does happen to have more capacitors. The p35-ds3r IMO is better, but for the price, the p35-ds3l is a steal. They are both pretty comparable with the smaller amount of restrictions on the L line. But even so, the p35-DS3L model is also a great overclocking candidate for a great price. There are many getting nearly the same clocks between both boards. With the current marketspace as well, it's best to save as much money board wise since we really have no upgrade room on the intel side of things. Nehalem is out at the end of 2008...once it's out, goodbye upgrades. Will have to get a new board. So I've currently been suggesting the DS3L, Afterall, Even overclocking a q6600 to 3ghz + offers immense performance. That's one reason why I don't recommend the x38 chipset unless the individual wants to crossfire, x48 is a joke imo, ddr3 and 1600FSB? we already have unofficial 1600 FSB on the x38's, and DDR3 isn't worth the price for now. The p35-DS3R is a fantastic board, I still recommend it whole heartedly...But when Nehalem comes out, we'll be ditching our boards anyways, so better to save some money in our banks till it does ^_^.

HamRadio

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Kamrooz, you are a wealth of information, thank you. As punishment I have more questions for you. :)

What is your opinion on the 8800GT vs the G92 8800GTs? Any guesses as to when the 9000 series will be rolling out? (I am thinking if it is only a few months, I would prefer to just buy one card then, than buy a card now and later have to bother with selling it when a better card comes along.)

Last question - how do folks in MMORPGs usually set up 4 boxing? one computer with a quad core processor, and two video cards not in SLI or CF, each card supporting two monitors for a total of 4 monitors?

TRENDING THREADS