Question Quick freezes or skips while gaming.

Critik

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Ryzen 7 5800x3d
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @ 1499MHz (16-16-16-35)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING (AM4) 33 °C
Graphics
27G2G3 (1920x1080@144Hz)
VG278 (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER (ASUStek Computer Inc) 36 °C
Storage
465GB Samsung SSD 860 EVO 500GB (SATA (SSD)) 35 °C
Optical Drives
No optical disk drives detected
Audio
Logitech PRO X Gaming Headset

I Recently upgraded to the 5800x3d and I noticed while playing I would get a quick stutter or freeze while moving around during the game. I only noticed this in one game because I do not play much of anything else at the moment. Can you guys help me solve this, please? just let me know what you need from me. Thanks. I also just added a new monitor so now I have 2. I do not think this has anything to do with it since it happens on both.

What is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

Have you gone to the B450-F product page and downloaded, then installed, ALL of the latest drivers for chipset (Also check the AMD website. If there is a newer B450 chipset driver available there, you may want to use that instead. In fact, for most AMD platforms I tend to use whatever the latest chipset driver is available through AMD rather than through the board manufacturer because it's generally going to be newer and address issues not addressed by some board manufacturer drivers), LAN and audio?

Do you have armory crate installed?

Have you performed a hard reset of the BIOS after installing the 5800x3d? As follows?

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.

Critik

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
What is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version?

Have you gone to the B450-F product page and downloaded, then installed, ALL of the latest drivers for chipset (Also check the AMD website. If there is a newer B450 chipset driver available there, you may want to use that instead. In fact, for most AMD platforms I tend to use whatever the latest chipset driver is available through AMD rather than through the board manufacturer because it's generally going to be newer and address issues not addressed by some board manufacturer drivers), LAN and audio?

Do you have armory crate installed?

Have you performed a hard reset of the BIOS after installing the 5800x3d? As follows?

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the hardware tables to reset in the boot manager.

It is probably also worth mentioning that for anything that might require an attempt to DO a hard reset in the first place, IF the problem is related to a lack of video signal, it is a GOOD IDEA to try a different type of display as many systems will not work properly for some reason with displayport configurations. It is worth trying HDMI if you are having no display or lack of visual ability to enter the BIOS, or no signal messages.

Trying a different monitor as well, if possible, is also a good idea if there is a lack of display. It happens.
I have a feeling the reset will work I’ve read a previous post from a couple years ago you commented for them to do it and it worked. They had the same issue of that 0.2 second stutter. Once home I will run through it. Right after I installed the new CPU I changed the RAM to DOCP so it would run at 3000 I believe this possibly could have something to do with it but I’ll do the reset and see.

Yeah, do the reset and make sure everything is working ok BEFORE you enable D.O.C.P. Then, after you enable it, while it is restarting, if it acts weird or unusual, rebooting or seeming to be just a black screen, leave it alone for five or ten minutes. It may simply be retraining the memory and on some modern machines the first time it trains the memory it can take a little while. Same thing after updating the BIOS. In fact, just updated my BIOS the other day to a release from December and when it restarted itself to apply the update the screen went black for like five full minutes. I have updated the BIOS on this machine (Z690 Aorus Elite AX, 12700k) several times previously and never experienced this specific behavior so even if you think you know how your machine will react, it might react differently at any given time.

I almost thought there was a problem because it took a long time to get back to an onscreen visual and was about to pull the plug and just update the BIOS using the Q-flash Plus method (Same as BIOS Flashback) but decided to wait a while longer and went and made a sandwich. When I came back it was done, updated and already booted into Windows. Had to go restart, go back into BIOS and reconfigure my XMP and fan curve settings and was completely fine after that.

Another thing to note if your BIOS has it, which the majority of aftermarkets DO these days, is the fact that after you are sure that your memory XMP/AMP/A-XMP/D.O.C.P configuration is stable and there are no problems, it is helpful to go back into the BIOS and in the memory sub section find the fast boot option for the memory so that it simply uses the already confirmed stable profile you enabled each time plus the additional secondary and tertiary timings it already trained, so that it does not try to re-train those settings each time you reboot which can cause boot times to increase by ten or twenty seconds, or more, each time you reboot. Also, don't confuse the memory fast boot setting with the actual boot section fast boot setting. They are entirely different. The memory fast boot section if present (And you need to be in the advanced view for your BIOS, not the EZ basic view) will be found only in the main tweak or memory sub settings sections.

It is also super important since you've installed a newer CPU that might require more than just the basic initial new BIOS version that allowed that CPU to be used, in order to apply other fixes they may have discovered since then so if you are not already on the latest stable BIOS release for your specific motherboard (And there are six additional BIOS releases since the 5800x3d "enable new CPU" release, but you should only need to install the latest one) it would be a really good idea to do that. Probably even before doing a hard reset but you DO still want to do a hard reset even after you update the BIOS because sometimes not all of the configuration settings get reset and some of them may "stick" after a BIOS update, so doing a hard reset after you update is a good idea especially if you updated because you were having problems before. But you can certainly TRY just doing the hard reset first, but I would highly recommend also updating the BIOS as well if you are not already on BIOS version 5404 which was released only this month.

Critik

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
Yeah, do the reset and make sure everything is working ok BEFORE you enable D.O.C.P. Then, after you enable it, while it is restarting, if it acts weird or unusual, rebooting or seeming to be just a black screen, leave it alone for five or ten minutes. It may simply be retraining the memory and on some modern machines the first time it trains the memory it can take a little while. Same thing after updating the BIOS. In fact, just updated my BIOS the other day to a release from December and when it restarted itself to apply the update the screen went black for like five full minutes. I have updated the BIOS on this machine (Z690 Aorus Elite AX, 12700k) several times previously and never experienced this specific behavior so even if you think you know how your machine will react, it might react differently at any given time.

I almost thought there was a problem because it took a long time to get back to an onscreen visual and was about to pull the plug and just update the BIOS using the Q-flash Plus method (Same as BIOS Flashback) but decided to wait a while longer and went and made a sandwich. When I came back it was done, updated and already booted into Windows. Had to go restart, go back into BIOS and reconfigure my XMP and fan curve settings and was completely fine after that.

Another thing to note if your BIOS has it, which the majority of aftermarkets DO these days, is the fact that after you are sure that your memory XMP/AMP/A-XMP/D.O.C.P configuration is stable and there are no problems, it is helpful to go back into the BIOS and in the memory sub section find the fast boot option for the memory so that it simply uses the already confirmed stable profile you enabled each time plus the additional secondary and tertiary timings it already trained, so that it does not try to re-train those settings each time you reboot which can cause boot times to increase by ten or twenty seconds, or more, each time you reboot. Also, don't confuse the memory fast boot setting with the actual boot section fast boot setting. They are entirely different. The memory fast boot section if present (And you need to be in the advanced view for your BIOS, not the EZ basic view) will be found only in the main tweak or memory sub settings sections.

It is also super important since you've installed a newer CPU that might require more than just the basic initial new BIOS version that allowed that CPU to be used, in order to apply other fixes they may have discovered since then so if you are not already on the latest stable BIOS release for your specific motherboard (And there are six additional BIOS releases since the 5800x3d "enable new CPU" release, but you should only need to install the latest one) it would be a really good idea to do that. Probably even before doing a hard reset but you DO still want to do a hard reset even after you update the BIOS because sometimes not all of the configuration settings get reset and some of them may "stick" after a BIOS update, so doing a hard reset after you update is a good idea especially if you updated because you were having problems before. But you can certainly TRY just doing the hard reset first, but I would highly recommend also updating the BIOS as well if you are not already on BIOS version 5404 which was released only this month.
Ok so I did the reset it went to a screen I believe it was the post screen where it said press enter to retrieve bios or F1 to run setup I hit F1 does this sound right? Anyways i didn’t need to do anything my boot option was set already. So I booted in and tried my game I did not have the issue yet that is. But tomorrow I am going to try changing the ram from auto to DOCP standard and see what happens. Beforehand I will play before doing that to make sure. If the DOCP works I am going to add my second monitor again. Because I left it unplugged. Also the BIOS version was 4007. I believe that is from 2022. I will also do the fast boot within the memory settings only after I know everything is stable. Thanks for the help I will respond tomorrow.

Critik

Reputable
Aug 5, 2019
@Darkbreeze hey buddy so after doing the reset I still had the occasional stutter. I have not enabled DOCP but like you said I am on BIOS 4007 which is old I imagine. Also I downloaded armory crate and there was lots of updates for GPU and motherboard things I also downloaded the latest chipset for the B450-F through AMD gonna see how all that holds up today.

One other thing I noticed I was getting more FPS than my monitor supports. I limited it through the game options to 144 and honestly I feel like I noticed a difference but not for certain yet. Will keep you updated it your still around for helping thanks !

If you want me to continue helping you, you will do ONE thing for ME. Uninstall Armory crate. And if it asks to remove settings, yes, remove settings. AC is is horrific. I have seen tens of dozens of people on here with problems that were ENTIRELY resolved after removing AC. And that's not just the ones "I" have seen, it' also just the ones I have seen that actually bothered to tell anybody about it. All the other motherboard utilities are just as bad, so it's not just ASUS. I stick mostly to Gigabyte these days, and I still wouldn't use any of their software other than manually downloaded drivers and BIOS updates. The rest of the "optional" software. Pfffft. No thanks. I can put dozens of thread links in your lap showing that removing AC was all the fix they needed. But, really, it's just a starting point. We go from there.

And if I'm being entirely honest I'd say after having already installed it, a clean install of Windows would not be the worst thing you ever did.