Quick Help Needed Vista OS install

jogjr11

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
I am working on a computer for a friend. it is a windows vista home premium (unsure if x32 or x64). I have an OEMACT code on the sticker in the back. Her hard drive died (clicking) and I can't clone any part of it (os or recovery) due to two bad sectors. I am in need of an option to install the operating system onto a new hard drive that I have. She is leaving the state in 30 hours so it is cutting it close. Where can I get a disk or make one from online? Is there a special one I need since it is an OEMACT key?

Also it is a Sony VAIO PCG-7173L.

Solution
"A friend" downloaded a copy of windows from a popular torrent site (do a google search for site lists) so you can do the same (you will need a torrent client installed on your machine such as utorrent), then burn the windows iso image to a dvd using imgburn or similar program. Install with the dvd and just use the serial on the sticker when re installing windows.

People will say its software piracy but you are using a legitimate key that has been paid for so i personally dont see a problem as microsoft allows you to make back up copys of your windows CD/DVD.

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
"A friend" downloaded a copy of windows from a popular torrent site (do a google search for site lists) so you can do the same (you will need a torrent client installed on your machine such as utorrent), then burn the windows iso image to a dvd using imgburn or similar program. Install with the dvd and just use the serial on the sticker when re installing windows.

People will say its software piracy but you are using a legitimate key that has been paid for so i personally dont see a problem as microsoft allows you to make back up copys of your windows CD/DVD.

Solution

jogjr11

Honorable
Oct 24, 2013
Is there an easy way to tell if I need the x32 or x64? I know I need windows vista home premium but is there any other I should look for. For instance, should I stay away from a retail copy iso since I have an OEM?

zink1701

Honorable
Sep 14, 2012
Depends on how much RAM is installed in the machine. 4 gig or less then install the 32 bit os, over 4 gig then the 64bit. the difference is a 32 bit os will only support up to 4 gig of ram, any more and windows will not use the extra ram. 64 bit os will use all available ram.

They key will work for both